For the record, once again everybody seems to have completely looked over what I am trying to say. I taught Smudge to sit and lay while on a leash.
Smudge was 10-11 months old at the time.
He did not strangle himself, buck, ect. I own a sheltie, not a bronco, and I am not trying to wrangle or wrestle anything. Just teach him to sit.
There is nothing wrong with using a leash to train your dog to do something as long as you do it the right way. For the record, Smudge's last walk through in obedience class was better than most.![]()
I could not agree more.We used a leash for ALL of Earnhardts training.It was nessassary,as he was WAY out there as far as attention span.
With Trapp & Jasper,again we used a leash(80% of the time),never had problems.The training was two fold actually,they were taught early to not be chewing or trying to get away from the leash,and also the command at the time (sit,stay)Especially in public. I feel as an owner for me,this is important.
We still have some leash issues with Jasper,but he does well,actually better than Trapp ever did at 7 months.

I changed her treat too. We may start doing chicken or cheese from now on...she doesn't seem too motivated with the hot dog. 
