Is this a good idea?

Not positive, but I've found a CPE trial that we may enter as FEO!

If you are looking for the Teeter, specifically, you won't find that on a CPE FEO run.

FEO runs are done at the lowest level, Level 1 in CPE. CPE Level 1 doesn't use a Teeter or Weave Poles; those are introduced at Level 2. (The goal being to set the dog & handler team up to be successful from the start.)

That doesn't mean don't run CPE as FEO because ring time experience is always useful. Just don't go in expecting the Teeter or Weaves.
 
FEO rule in CPE

Actually, if the CPE trial you attend allows FEO entries (it will say in the premium), the CPE rulebook says that you can enter at any level and any height. So if you wanted to enter at Level 2 where there are teeters, you can. You can only attempt any obstacle once (4 paw rule). Level 1 is for beginner handlers and dogs and does not have weaves or teeters. FYI, here's what the CPE Rulebook 2011 says about FEO:

"FEO – FOR EXHIBITION ONLY
Any otherwise eligible dog may show in CPE at any level or jump height as FEO. This entry does not earn
qualifiers or placements. The dog may NOT run the entire course on leash.
FEO does not allow “training” in the ring. This list of examples is not all inclusive: repeating contacts (4 paw safety
rule always applies), repeating start line stays, repeating any obstacle not done to the handler’s satisfaction, etc.
It is up to the host club whether or not to accept FEO entries at that trial. If no FEO entries will be accepted, it will be
listed in the premium. FEO dogs will still pay entry fees.
If a beginning dog (usually level 1 or 2) discontinues working with the handler, the handler may ask for their leash to
take their dog over a few obstacles to end the run on a successful note. This must be done in a sportsmanlike manner – no
leash corrections are allowed. This automatically NQ’s the dog for this run - the dog will receive an NT “No Time”. The team
may not do so through the tire, chute or weaves, suggested not to do so for the aframe or tunnels.
Allowed leashes for FEO: Flat or buckle collars (no tags) and clip on leash; slip/martingale leads that have an
adjustable “stop” to keep the leash from accidentally pulling tight on the dog. Leashes may not exceed 6’ in length."

Hope that helps, and good luck whatever you decide to do.
-dayle
 
IMHO, you should look for fun runs, or whatever they call them in your area (run through's, fun match, show n' go). That way, you can run with food, train with food, click if you want, etc. This is what I should do with contacts now that I think about it. lol. Not sure where you are, but see if you can find anything in your area.

I'd probably go that route because it's typically cheaper than trials and it sounds like CPE's FEO doesn't allow "training" in the simplest form.

Another option is NADAC. There is no teeter, table, or chute, but they do allow training of one obstacle (no food, but you can train in the ring which is nice). You can work on contacts in this venue, but obviously not the teeter. If the teeter is your main focus then forget NADAC. ;)
 
IMHO, you should look for fun runs, or whatever they call them in your area (run through's, fun match, show n' go). That way, you can run with food, train with food, click if you want, etc. This is what I should do with contacts now that I think about it. lol. Not sure where you are, but see if you can find anything in your area.

I'd probably go that route because it's typically cheaper than trials and it sounds like CPE's FEO doesn't allow "training" in the simplest form.

Another option is NADAC. There is no teeter, table, or chute, but they do allow training of one obstacle (no food, but you can train in the ring which is nice). You can work on contacts in this venue, but obviously not the teeter. If the teeter is your main focus then forget NADAC. ;)

Yup! We've found a few fun runs next week (will probably only go to one) and in March their is one on a weekend. Unfortunately, there are fun runs every week - and hour away, stating at 8:00 PM and on a school night.:( I am absolutely not a morning person (I'll have fun at 5:00 AM when I am competing, won't I? :lol:) and staying out till 11:00 at night won't help matters much.
NADAC doesn't have many trials where I live. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE NADAC though, so it is really frustrating. NADAC's courses are AMAZING!!!!! But around here, (in 3 states my parents would be willing to travel too) there are only 3 trials in the year (at least they are listed now. :cry:) I don't know how much NADAC trials cost and registration, but if it were not too expensive I would definitely want to run. CPE is going to be our main venue. I have found a few trials to enter as FEO, but nothing definite yet.:biggrin2:
 
Yup! We've found a few fun runs next week (will probably only go to one) and in March their is one on a weekend. Unfortunately, there are fun runs every week - and hour away, stating at 8:00 PM and on a school night.:( I am absolutely not a morning person (I'll have fun at 5:00 AM when I am competing, won't I? :lol:) and staying out till 11:00 at night won't help matters much.

LOL. I hear ya. I was loving AKC because as Open/Novice you don't have to check in until late morning. Which meant sleeping in. Zzzzzzzz. But then, now that I'm in ExA, I have to be there first thing in the morning. I am sooo not a morning person. And I truly hate running that early. lol.

NADAC doesn't have many trials where I live. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE NADAC though, so it is really frustrating. NADAC's courses are AMAZING!!!!! But around here, (in 3 states my parents would be willing to travel too) there are only 3 trials in the year (at least they are listed now. :cry:) I don't know how much NADAC trials cost and registration, but if it were not too expensive I would definitely want to run. CPE is going to be our main venue. I have found a few trials to enter as FEO, but nothing definite yet.:biggrin2:

In NADAC, registration is $15 (for non-members), but it's a one-time fee. Most runs are about $10-12 and there's typically 5 runs a day. It can get expensive. But you don't have to run everything. Most clubs will give you a discount though, so look for them. Although I probably shouldn't run Chances, it's cheaper for me to run all 10 and get a discount, versus paying for 8 runs w/o a discount.

CPE is about the same price I believe. Again, one time fee for registration. I believe theirs is $20, but you get a rule book which is really nice to have. They have a lot of fun games.
 
Back
Top