Is this damaged fur?

I wouldnt worry too much at 6mths if the coat is doing some weird things. Deska's coat was very dry when he was growing into an adult coat, and at one stage he looked like a lion because the his mane stuck out on its ends.

But I dont think the hair sticking up is that weird at all. The fur above the tail in both mine is often lifted because when they raise their tail it raises the fur above the tail too. Its just a sign that they wag their tails a lot!

Btw - if you want to bathe him regularly try giving him a sponge bath rather than a full bath every time. Wet a car sponge in a bucket with conditioner or oil (I use Plush Puppy seabreeze oil) mixed into the water and sponge the ouside of the coat down. It takes away most of the dirt that collects on the outer coat and the smell too. It may not matter atm because his coat will be short but a rinse is much easier on a full coated dog.
 
Take a look at Claussen's ears if you can and tell me what you think of his "tipping". I think they are tipped too far back... but it's too late to change that now. When he looks up at me, his ears don't hold their shape (because of the cartilage not being set, I'm sure) For now, I'm waiting for some of his ear hair to grow back, as he has yanked sooo much out. (The hair attached to his skull below the ear) I would have to glue his ear way to the left. My Little Bear is already missing quite a bit of fur from getting it yanked out. Guess I need to stop them from playing for the most part....won't that be torture for puppies-not being able to play for their first year? I do want the proper sheltie expression for both my dogs...I just hope they stop ripping their fur :( Here's the most current pic of his ears (taken yesterday).

cl6.jpg
 
Take a look at Claussen's ears if you can and tell me what you think of his "tipping". I think they are tipped too far back... but it's too late to change that now. When he looks up at me, his ears don't hold their shape (because of the cartilage not being set, I'm sure) For now, I'm waiting for some of his ear hair to grow back, as he has yanked sooo much out. (The hair attached to his skull below the ear) I would have to glue his ear way to the left. My Little Bear is already missing quite a bit of fur from getting it yanked out. Guess I need to stop them from playing for the most part....won't that be torture for puppies-not being able to play for their first year? I do want the proper sheltie expression for both my dogs...I just hope they stop ripping their fur :( Here's the most current pic of his ears (taken yesterday).

View attachment 3327

I may not be seeing what you are seeing,but my first impression of the picture,was that his ruff looks dry or something.His coat is all puppy coat,and he is going to go thru some real strange growth,color changes before his adult coat starts coming in. Sometimes areas of a dogs coat develope quicker than others,I think he is going to have a beautiful ruff once he comes into himself.
I know I debated a long time,about my Trapp. His ruff was beautiful in length,but i was very damaged.It was dry,and the ends were broken.They literally looked like split ends. And he looked as though someone had taken another sheltie head,and stuck it on the body of another dog. Very misproportionate. So I did trim it,and it is growing in so much nicer.

I think a good ear trim to clean up the ears would do a world of differance and soften the facial look of the dog.

Do you know of someone that could show you the proper way to trim the ears? If so that would be awesome for you,then you will see it being done. It's not hard.
I might also suggest the sheltie grooming manual,it's available on Amazon.Between that & Sheltie Talk,those would be of valuable use.

His ears look wide & low,but I am no expert.They have a tip to them.But with his coat being so wild & wooly,to you I think looks not right.
Personally,unless you are set on wanting that perfect tip (which may never happen) I would leave it be.

I think he is adorable,has a real nice face & very expressive
 
Last edited:
Yeah, his ears were very wide and they've actually come up quite a bit over the last few months see before pic...http://www.sheltieforums.com/album.php?albumid=372&pictureid=4230

But, I'm not really sure what to do as far as trimming his ears goes as he has had some major hair loss from a couple months ago when we were still using goo gone...here's the hair loss as it looked 2 weeks ago... 5months.jpgSo there isn't much to trim on the ear itself but it is starting to grow back finally. Are you speaking of the fluff above his ears? His mane sticks out jaggedly -he does look like a lion. His mane is very soft-the fur is long plush His pants are wooly, and his haunches, and sides are a little wooly. And then his back is getting the guard hairs. I would love to see some people's pics of their dog at 5/6 months so I have something to compare him to.
 
Last edited:
His ears look low and wide, at 5 months its not too old to fix this issue. There is still a bit of wiggle room. I would suggest using Japanese tape as you can set where the ear should break opposed to gluing. My dogs dont bother with each others ears. Even in rough play it doesnt come out. Now granted if I leave them alone and one is chewing on the others head who knows what would happen, but they dont do that so it isnt an issue.
 
Is it necessary to get Zoeze? I have Unisolve and Detachol here already...what's the difference between Zoeze and the other 2?
 
Back
Top