Just out of curiosity

woof

Forums Enthusiast
I was talking with my sister who has a yellow lab and she was mentioning how it so loves going to a dog park and playing with all the other dogs-- it is now obsessed with it. I find my dogs, tolerate other dogs but are not really all that interested in them overall. I was wondering if any of you take your Shelties to dog parks and how they get along with the other dogs-- are dogs dogs or do you find Shelties more reserved? I know on walks when we stop to "chat" with other dog owners/dogs mine are perfect gentlemen/ladies but no overjoyed tail wagging. I would like to take mine to a dog park but not sure they would enjoy frolicking with other dogs??? They do love each other tho and try to include our cat in their games.
 
Sca LOVED playing the other Shelties when Calliesmom visited. Other non-shelties not so much. Spitfire well as expected though he thought Dixie was OK. As a puppy at the Shletie gathering he was in heaven he thought. Angus life was a party all the time and oh by the way I need to be petted. Ian is the wild child who just wants to play. When Davy visited they had a grand time (after I calmed him down some as he was WAY to wild).

Overall. Other shelties are good, other 'dogs' meh.
 
I agree with Sheep, none of my dogs have made a connection with another dog that wasn't a Sheltie. But we avoid dog parks. Even my vet recently said she tells clients to AVOID dog parks. We actually had a recent parvo outbreak at a local one.

I think the big dogs who like to roughhouse are the ones who like that kind of setting, but Shelties are not into that and I wouldn't want my dogs getting hurt.
 
Shelby LOVED playing with her Sheltie boyfriend and her Collie best friend. They all had the same play styles of just running around and hearding each other. Shelby never liked in your face barking rough playing types of dogs.

She also always wanted to play with my sister-in-laws chocolate lab. we allowed this when they were pups but as he got larger and more of a bull in a china shop type we could not allow them to play, we knew he would accidentally hurt her. But they would on occasion quietly sneak away from everyone to go off and play, but Shelby’s big mouth would get them caught every time.
 
Funny you should mention this!
My brother in law has 2 Bichon’s…a 9 year old and a 4 year old, my dogs have known these two all their lives and have occasionally played together but generally they keep to themselves.
My brother in law came over for supper yesterday and while eating I looked to see where the dogs were and saw my 3 were beside me, his two were beside him:ROFLMAO:.
And they won’t play with them! It’s like 2 cliques…the Bichon’s and the Sheltie’s…it’s crazy! Since my sister passed a way my dogs and his dogs are seeing each other more and I see this more often.
Honestly it makes me love my Sheltie’s more…needy little whiners:lol:…sure mine bark but his bark and whine and cry to be picked up…all sucky :lol:
Of course I’m sure not everyone’s Bichon’s are like this…they did baby them!
 
Pico is an odd little sheltie. He's 18lbs, and he loves his terrier friend. They play a little...rambunctiously for a sheltie.. He loves big dogs, too. He's not a wrestler, still plays very much like a sheltie (mostly running and chasing), just amped up a bit. and he will go on his rear legs to reach up or 'hug' another usually larger dog when playing. Although, he will calm down and not harrass his buddy if he stops running and playing. So he's learning? He was too much for Sharon's crew when we visited, but he did learn and didn't become an annoying brat. But he is still a puppy (He's 18 months...I'm anxiously waiting for the 2 year mark)

Gavin was pretty much only a runner/chaser. he rarely did the mouthy play bit.
 
I guess mine are different- Cran also loved the pom (same pom) and some other dogs, Jo played with Irish Setters and Dalmatians, Davy has played with a Jack Russell, Dalmatian, Rotties, Cattle dogs and an English Cocker and Border Collies. They do still prefer other shelties but they're good with any other friendly dog:yes:
 
Teddy is willing to interact with dogs he knows but I would not call it playing. He is polite if we stop and chat with other folks out walking their dogs.
I stay away from dog parks because most of the time they are playing so ruff Teddy does not want to be there. I have also seen the other dog owners not paying attention to their own dogs which does not help the dogs learn how to play nicely.
He much happier if we go to places that have structured play. A couple of my friends have agility equipment and if we set that up for them they seem to all have a good time. But that is more competitive than playing.
 
Back
Top