Kibble storage?

This is the site that explains the do's and don'ts of storing pet food.
http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/pet-food-storage.html

I buy 5 pound bags of food. I only have to feed one dog, so that bags lasts me 4-5 weeks. Therefore, I leave the kibble in the original bag and use a clip to close it.

I also keep mine in the original bag. I at one time used a plastic container but I read this site and just decided not to take the chance on something going wrong. Maybe in my old age I'm getting too cautious :rolleyes2:
 
This is the site that explains the do's and don'ts of storing pet food.
http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/pet-food-storage.html

I buy 5 pound bags of food. I only have to feed one dog, so that bags lasts me 4-5 weeks. Therefore, I leave the kibble in the original bag and use a clip to close it.

uhoh :uhoh: I use the bin with wheels that is in the picture of that site. I have used it for years. I have always just poured the 40 pounds of food in it. I think I need to find a better storage bin :o
 
uhoh :uhoh: I use the bin with wheels that is in the picture of that site. I have used it for years. I have always just poured the 40 pounds of food in it. I think I need to find a better storage bin :o

I don't think having the bin with the wheels is the issue,it is how the food is handled once home with it.

I also use one that has wheels,but it is for convienance to be able to roll it over to the counter.At any givin time there could be two bags of kibble in there.As there is now,a bag of Merricks,and TOTW.

Even before I read this article,I never emptied our bags right into the bin,and expose of the bag.you would be surpised though,many folks don't give cross contamination a thought.

I remember a bag of kitty food I purchased once,and thank heavens I did not keep Bumper's kibble in a bin.But when I opened the bag,there were several pieces that were moldy.If I had in fact emptied the bag into a bin,with other food,the whole bin would have been a loss.
One never knows~
 
I also use the wheel bins, however I leave it in the bag and have always for two reasons...1 incase there is a recall I have the bag and lot numbers right there, and 2. im lazy:lol: id have to wash and dry the bin every time they ran out of food due to the crumbs that inevitably fall to the bottom and look like a layer of dirt!
 
I remember a bag of kitty food I purchased once,and thank heavens I did not keep Bumper's kibble in a bin.But when I opened the bag,there were several pieces that were moldy.If I had in fact emptied the bag into a bin,with other food,the whole bin would have been a loss.
One never knows~

yep- that actually happened to me with my first dog- bought Ol Roy from Walmart- I actually put the food back in the bag and took it back to the store- they gave me my money back and that incident put me on a quest for food with expiration dates on it. seems obvious now but in the early 90's, most food bags didn't have expiration dates.
 
yep- that actually happened to me with my first dog- bought Ol Roy from Walmart- I actually put the food back in the bag and took it back to the store- they gave me my money back and that incident put me on a quest for food with expiration dates on it. seems obvious now but in the early 90's, most food bags didn't have expiration dates.

Oh my sweet french toast. :uhoh: If you knew half of the things that those bags go through before they get put on the shelf. :dead: Sometimes we used to open the trucks to find cracked cases of Special Kitty with maggots in them.

Guess who got to be the maggot cleaner upper. :dead:

Which, I am sure it is the same way with other places, but there is no amount of soap in this world that can make your hands feel clean after that!
 
Last edited:
Oh my sweet french toast. :uhoh: If you knew half of the things that those bags go through before they get put on the shelf. :dead: Sometimes we used to open the trucks to find cracked cases of Special Kitty with maggots in them.

Guess who got to be the maggot cleaner upper. :dead:

Which, I am sure it is the same way with other places, but there is no amount of soap in this world that can make your hands feel clean after that!

yeah- I'm glad that's you and not me :winkgrin:
 
Back
Top