Length of time between Lepto shots #1 and #2?

My vet didn't say anything about allergic reaction toward vaccination :confused2:, William got his parvo 2, lepto 1, distemper and some oher two (can't remember) last week. And scheduled to get the next vaccination next month.

He seems okay though, although he have some skin irritation around his genital but it happen before the vaccination. I ask the vet and he said try to keep him clean and maybe some antibiotic balm. But he forgot to write the name of the antibiotic. My wife told me to call the vet and ask, shame on me, I have not done it yet.
 
I'm reading all kinds of stuff lately about unnecessary vaccines.

It appears that a number of vaccines that our vets give annual booster for are totally unecessary (e.g. for parvo and distemper). What I read is that if given after 6 months, the immunity is good for life!

This apparently is causing alot of controversy in the vet world due to loss of income and the compromise position seems to be to vaccinate every 3 years instead.

www.dvmnewsmagazine.com - search on vaccinations

Any comment anyone?
 
I am soo against all vaccines and try to keep them to a minimum.. Snickers and I live near a forest... and we see deer.....turkeys and on occasion a bear will enter our property. And of course some squirrels and chipmunks. Do you think Lepto will be something I should do for Snickers considering where I live? Am I considered a "high risk" area?? I am at a point of 50/50 so any advice would be much appreciated. I know it is my decision but I guess I am asking if you were in my shoes what would you do???
 
While I was searching for stuff about DM online I found a sheltie rescue site that dealt with DM. All the shelties with DM that received the lepto vaccine died.

No lepto here, thanks!


If anybody on this forum lives in the sticks it is me. :lol: Ticks, fleas, raccoons, deer, wolves/coyotes (not sure which, and I don't wanna find out!), armadillos, wild turkeys, opossums, snakes, skunks, field rats, and everything else inbetween. We're still going to stick to the minimum. Although some laws do require certain vaccines every so often, like rabies, and some vaccines are required for boarding. All boarding kennels I know of require you to have a bordatella shot.
 
Do you think Lepto will be something I should do for Snickers considering where I live? Am I considered a "high risk" area?? I am at a point of 50/50 so any advice would be much appreciated. I know it is my decision but I guess I am asking if you were in my shoes what would you do???

I think in lieu of a vaccine with known side effects as well as unknown damage to the immune system, you should get to know the signs and symptoms of lepto well so that if she contracts it, you catch it early. People like us who know our dogs inside out and backwards are going to clue into a problem before it blows up.

Any vaccine that requires a day at the vet "just in case" should raise HUGE RED FLAGS. That is one that I would say "no, thank you" to.

You will also find breeders are going to start adding a clause into their contract about the warranties being void if any vaccines are given within a month of each other. They are already having to add in obesity clauses. Your dogs bad hips are not the breeders fault if the dog is 15 pounds overweight.
 
While I was searching for stuff about DM online I found a sheltie rescue site that dealt with DM. All the shelties with DM that received the lepto vaccine died.

No lepto here, thanks!

DM is fundamentally an immune disorder. So adding a vaccine that compromises an already compromised immune system is not good. Dogs with mange probably shouldn't have vaccines either until the immune system is strong enough to deal with the mange. The immune system can only do so much at one time.

I found that out the hard way when I got a head cold and ended up with MRSA. I probably carried the MRSA for months. Once that head cold hit, blam, immune system said "hey, let me go deal with this over here" and let the MRSA go. The blisters broke out within 12 hours of my first sniffle. I have some lovely scars. The antibiotics, BTW, were $86 per pill.
 
Meggie's breeder says NO LEPTO. She nearly lost a dog in Meggie's line, in fact would have had she not had whatever it is you give a dog when they're having an allergic reaction to something. She said she never would have made it to the vet's office without the dog dying. So NO LEPTO here!
 
I give the Lepto to ALL of my Shelties, and we've never had a reaction to it. And they don't spend a day at the vet, either.
 
Correct me if i'm wrong (i probably am) but i thought rodents and rabbits were the carriers of lepto :confused2:

For those of you on the fence about the lepto vaccine I would talk to your vet about it and see if it is a disease that is going around your area.

Just MHO, and not enough sleep.....:sleepy:
 
Back
Top