Losing undercoat--none to spare!

Yes, around a year old they have a BIG shed. Lexi does not look too naked, I wouldn't worry about it. When Milo was that age he looked like a smooth collie. He didn't get a full coat till he was a year old.

Another thing to consider is that litter mates can have different coats. Sadie and her sister, who is a bi black, have very different coats. Sadie's is very soft and smooth and tends to lie flat, while Della's is more coarse and tends to look puffier.

Ginny, who is Sadie's half sister, is so fluffy she almost looks like a Pomeranian.

You really cannot compare individual dogs, as they're all different. I'd only worry if you start seeing bald spots. Otherwise, try not to worry and be patient. :smile2:
 
Wish I had found this post earlier,alfie too had a huge shed around 10 1/2 months old and lasted til he turned a year old. He started on the body first, then his butt, and then the ruff. It's been 2months since the shedding and he is slowly growing back the undercoat. His ruff still looks very poor but since it shed last i suppose it will be the last to grow back. I was so concerned that it wasn't normal but glad I chose to just ignore it and vacuum more often :)

This was back in January. He was so thin looking without most of his undercoat.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-1uKNbNcscTU/TyVcUMsyd1I/AAAAAAAAGr8/kiF7jusRCWY/s576/P1330239.JPG
s
EDIT: sorry my computer crashed.
here's what he looks like now in march:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hKM-uX1SYYE/T2bXebf-6xI/AAAAAAAAGzM/MbYe9BM5JYE/s640/P1350016.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3RqVpWjM3C8/T2bXh_wCyXI/AAAAAAAAGzY/KSen9WJ5i4U/s640/P1350172.jpg
 
Last edited:
I'm having the same problem here with Jasper. He is sleek & no undercoat. But he had a good warm bath to help the process of loosening the undercoat. So he is a bit naked right now. My hope is that he gets an adult coat that is beautiful. He has alot of length,but no poof!

Trapp is so full,my heavens~ He will be getting a nice warm bath this week,as there are still areas the undercoat is so thick.and he is blowing coat now.
 
Wish I had found this post earlier,alfie too had a huge shed around 10 1/2 months old and lasted til he turned a year old. He started on the body first, then his butt, and then the ruff. It's been 2months since the shedding and he is slowly growing back the undercoat. His ruff still looks very poor but since it shed last i suppose it will be the last to grow back. I was so concerned that it wasn't normal but glad I chose to just ignore it and vacuum more often :)

This was back in January. He was so thin looking without most of his undercoat.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-1uKNbNcscTU/TyVcUMsyd1I/AAAAAAAAGr8/kiF7jusRCWY/s576/P1330239.JPG
s
EDIT: sorry my computer crashed.
here's what he looks like now in march:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hKM-uX1SYYE/T2bXebf-6xI/AAAAAAAAGzM/MbYe9BM5JYE/s640/P1350016.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3RqVpWjM3C8/T2bXh_wCyXI/AAAAAAAAGzY/KSen9WJ5i4U/s640/P1350172.jpg

I was not able to see the pictures.
 
Don't forget to put that lovely undercoat in a washed onion mesh bag and hang it out for the birds. They are nesting now and love that soft stuff to make a bed for the babies out of.
 
Looks totally normal for me for a 13 month old.

Bacca is still a late bloomer at 4 years old, but part of this is due to bad grooming (see other threads)

This is not a pretty picture of him at 12 months, but you'll get the idea And next picture is how he looks more recent.

And yes, Bacca is oversize so he is brawnier than most dogs.....
 

Attachments

  • P4101942.jpg
    P4101942.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 12
  • P1095771-2.jpg
    P1095771-2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top