Luxating Patella and agility

roguskie

Forums Enthusiast
hi everyone. During Pippis spay the vets diagnosed her as having luxating patella. We dont know the extent of it. But I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this in agility. Pippi is one in September and she loves foundation agility I would hate to have to stop.
 
So sorry to hear... luxating patella can be extreme and others not as severe ...

I have seen on many vet programs on TV that some need surgery and other do not. If she was not doing anything strenuous and she had a mild case surgery might not be required. However, agility puts so much stain on joints and muscles... your vet will direct you as to the right course of action.

Good luck...
 
My Spirit has a very, very mild luxating patella. She saw a canine physical therapist and was put on an exercise program and hasn't had any problem at all. She does agility and flyball.
 
My Callie also has a luxating patella, and we never tried agility. She seems to have outgrown hers however. We had several instances where it caused her problems until she was about 2, but I haven't noticed her limping at all for the last year or so.

I'd definitely do what your vet recommends, but maybe Spirit will also have less problems as she gets older.
 
Lexi came up lame about 3 years ago during agility and was diagnosed by one vet with a luxating patella. She told me that she would need to have surgery and may not be able to do agility again. I was devastated.

We took her to two other vets--neither of which could find anything except maybe the most minor of slips.

Regardless, we took her to a top rehabilitation program in Chicago (called TOPS) and they checked her out, felt that it was so minor it would never be an issue, and sent us home with a great exercise regimen. They also felt that seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis would help her (she went every week for month, then every other week, and now she just goes every month).

Strengthening the muscles around the joint is super helpful, and knock on wood, we have had no issues since.

My recommendation would be to find a very experienced sports vet and get a regimen to follow.
 
Back
Top