labgirl
Forums Sage
Well we had a fantastic day on Saturday at UKA! This was the last show of the winter series and the Tug-eeze champions were to be announced. Over the six winter shows dogs from all grades have been gathering points to become their relevant height champion. There was stiff competition, so imagine my delight when Merlin won the Midi height class a full 12 points ahead of the next dog!!
He won a special trophy, a bag of holistic dog food (which Cadbury has acquired), a free 1-2-1 session with a top agility trainer and tug-eeze vouchers. Considering that this time last year he was freaking out in the agility ring, I am utterly stunned we won and so proud of my blue boy
Of course, before the prize giving there was a competition to run!
Not many vids this time as my friends who usually film are now in different grades and we tend to be running at the same time.
Merlin
Novice Jumping
This was our first time on a Novice course. It had a pull-in, which are clearly going to be a theme this year, and Merlin is not ready for pull-ins. Well, he fluffed his weaves, pulling out early - I have worked out he does this when there is another obstacle dead ahead. I did the weaves again and thought we would get away with just 5 faults, but when I tried to do the pull-in he took the jump instead. Oh well, the rest was gorgeous.
Novice Gamblers
Something was off with the timing in this ring, I am not certain I received the correct length of time for my run. Also, I am certain I heard the scrime say my overall time was 37 secs, but when the results came out it was written down as 47 secs. Oh well, next time I will check the time before I leave the ring! Merlin ran lovely and I can't fault him! My friend only caught the end of my run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgTouIcFLPY
Novice Agility
Such a hard course! Lots of traps, so wish I had a video of it! I made a stupid mistake, I was so determined to avoid the trap of sending Merlin up the a-frame I pulled him off the previous jump too soon! That threw us both off, cost 5 faults and we faffed a bit before completing the course (perfect weaves!). Despite being a second over course time we won the class!
Novice Steeplechase I
I was determined to get a decent run. I focused myself for this course, took a deep breath before I ran and we had a beautiful clear. We came second and I was delighted to have my first Novice steeplechase points.
Novice Steeplechase II
Talk about a nagging, twisty course! Merlin missed a turn (5 faults) but it was a good run otherwise and I was pleased with how we handled the run. I came sixth, without the faults I would have come fifth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7a5j8zkko8
Sparrow
Beginners Jumping
First time trying Sparrow's weaves in a competition environment! It didn't go perfectly, she couldn't manage them from the right hand side, so I switched sides and she weaved, but then pulled out when she saw the next jump! Then she found some horse poo! Oh well, spaniel brain!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsNy4Uxb8Xs
Beginners Steeplechase I
Sparrow got snapped at badly by the dog ahead of us in the queue (happens to be a dog we know too!), this spooked her and I had to give her a cuddle. She then went in the ring and broke her wait, I think she was shaken up. I reset her and we had a nice run, though she was a bit scatty.
Beginners Steeplechase II
Best run of the day on a fast course! Sparrow hammered down the line and into the tunnel! I didn't quite push her out to the far jump (5 faults) but she ran the rest lovely, even carrying on when I tried a dodgy rear cross. I loved that run, it felt like how Sparrow works in training and makes me see the potential dog she one day will be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiVz0Zjeq8Y
Overall it was a fantastic day! Sad it was the end of the UKA winter series and I don't have many UKA shows near me over the summer, but it certainly finished on a high!
He won a special trophy, a bag of holistic dog food (which Cadbury has acquired), a free 1-2-1 session with a top agility trainer and tug-eeze vouchers. Considering that this time last year he was freaking out in the agility ring, I am utterly stunned we won and so proud of my blue boy
Of course, before the prize giving there was a competition to run!

Not many vids this time as my friends who usually film are now in different grades and we tend to be running at the same time.
Merlin
Novice Jumping
This was our first time on a Novice course. It had a pull-in, which are clearly going to be a theme this year, and Merlin is not ready for pull-ins. Well, he fluffed his weaves, pulling out early - I have worked out he does this when there is another obstacle dead ahead. I did the weaves again and thought we would get away with just 5 faults, but when I tried to do the pull-in he took the jump instead. Oh well, the rest was gorgeous.
Novice Gamblers
Something was off with the timing in this ring, I am not certain I received the correct length of time for my run. Also, I am certain I heard the scrime say my overall time was 37 secs, but when the results came out it was written down as 47 secs. Oh well, next time I will check the time before I leave the ring! Merlin ran lovely and I can't fault him! My friend only caught the end of my run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgTouIcFLPY
Novice Agility
Such a hard course! Lots of traps, so wish I had a video of it! I made a stupid mistake, I was so determined to avoid the trap of sending Merlin up the a-frame I pulled him off the previous jump too soon! That threw us both off, cost 5 faults and we faffed a bit before completing the course (perfect weaves!). Despite being a second over course time we won the class!
Novice Steeplechase I
I was determined to get a decent run. I focused myself for this course, took a deep breath before I ran and we had a beautiful clear. We came second and I was delighted to have my first Novice steeplechase points.
Novice Steeplechase II
Talk about a nagging, twisty course! Merlin missed a turn (5 faults) but it was a good run otherwise and I was pleased with how we handled the run. I came sixth, without the faults I would have come fifth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7a5j8zkko8
Sparrow
Beginners Jumping
First time trying Sparrow's weaves in a competition environment! It didn't go perfectly, she couldn't manage them from the right hand side, so I switched sides and she weaved, but then pulled out when she saw the next jump! Then she found some horse poo! Oh well, spaniel brain!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsNy4Uxb8Xs
Beginners Steeplechase I
Sparrow got snapped at badly by the dog ahead of us in the queue (happens to be a dog we know too!), this spooked her and I had to give her a cuddle. She then went in the ring and broke her wait, I think she was shaken up. I reset her and we had a nice run, though she was a bit scatty.
Beginners Steeplechase II
Best run of the day on a fast course! Sparrow hammered down the line and into the tunnel! I didn't quite push her out to the far jump (5 faults) but she ran the rest lovely, even carrying on when I tried a dodgy rear cross. I loved that run, it felt like how Sparrow works in training and makes me see the potential dog she one day will be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiVz0Zjeq8Y
Overall it was a fantastic day! Sad it was the end of the UKA winter series and I don't have many UKA shows near me over the summer, but it certainly finished on a high!

