My boy doesn't shed lol

In my experience, Shelties don't actually shed to much. They actually just hold their coat and hold it up it to big fat sheltie pants and then explode 2 or 3 times per year.

But if you regurarly brush your Sheltie, you will pull out buckets of fur that you didn't even know was there.

Bottom line....you should be brushing your shelties at least very two week. And bathing them at least every 3-4 months.

This is what will loosen the undercoat and encourage new growth.

And please, please....don't ever shave them!
 
Shelby is 3 and just blew her coat for the first time this past fall. And boy did she blow. I was brushing her daily and there were still piles of fur wherever she was laying. I think it also made her itchy because she was scratching like crazy until she was done. I actually kept checking her for fleas b/c of it. She still sheds somewhat but not a big deal if I brush her regularly. I usually just use a pin brush.

I do not ever remember Hollie blowing her coat nearly as bad as Shelby. But then again Hollie's coat was much coarser and not as thick and Shelby's. Shelby is very soft and rarely gets any knots.
 
Back
Top