My dog has speed......

We started teaching distance with Lexi fairly early. We started teaching her to run around a chair in the yard that was away from us just like Silaria mentioned. I was able to get almost to the other side of the yard (20 feet?). I then added a jump to the other side of the chair, and she had no problem.

We had such success, that I started using it for Bentley. I then traded the chair out for a jump, and he consistently ran around (past) the jump! I had to stop, because technically I was previously rewarding him for running around the far side of the chair. He felt the same must be expected for the new "obstacle", the jump. :lol:

Oh man. See, that's why I stopped the "go around" things training. Koji started going around jumps, around things. I also started working "go on" for that reason. So he'd learn to take whatever is in front of him, WITHOUT coming into me. Obviously, we know we have the same issues. Bentley and Koji need to meet (but would they care? or would they be so focused on us? LOL). I also started to throw things further out. So he wouldn't immediately come back to me.

I do NOT want a sling shot dog. LOL. And yup, that's what I was teaching at first. This distance stuff is NOT easy.
 
You could try the flyball exercises for teaching a dog to drive ahead and away from you. We teach the dogs that running away from you is just as rewarding as being with you.

I'll give this a try. Didn't even think about that. Cuz obviously the dogs must run to get the ball AWAY from you. I feel so bad though, cuz Miko loves fetch. I'll have to tell DH to take Miko into another room so I can train with Koji. Then I can have a play session with Miko.
 
Back
Top