my first go at trimming ears~

You did a good job, he looks very handsome. I did ears for the first time this summer and trimmed too much from the outer edge of the ear but it is growing back so all is good!
 
Thank god for that! How long did it take to grow it back?

It has taken a bit of time. I trimmed them in the middle of July and we are just about back to normal, but he is not a really full coated sheltie so he doesn't tend to get full furry ears.

Picture the day after trimming.
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb446/nbrard/ab5e1621.jpg

Picture taken at the end of October, not the best but it does show some hair regrowth.
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb446/nbrard/PA180159.jpg
 
nbrard: I thought you did a good job, they look very natural to me! yikes, I'll have to be careful next time. Looks like they take a while to come back!

dmeyer: I was wondering if the featured sheltie had trimmed ear earlier!! So it is also trimmed :)

EDIT: http://www.sheltieinternational.com/images_large/Stillpond%20copy.jpg
I didn't think a show dog would be trimmed this short? Do dogs get penalised if its trimmed too obvious? lol
 
Last edited:
I think you did a really great job, especially considering this was your first try! Looks very natural, nothing worse than a sheltie that has been scissored badly.

But really, its about whether we like it or not, its about whether you like it, since he's a pet and your dog, not a show dog. :smile2:
 
For a first try, you did awesome!

As was already said, I would take a little less off the outside in the future.

You want the ears to blend into the ruff in kinda an oval shape.

You are lucky that you pup's ears seem to be naturally tipped so you don't need to do anything extraordinary.

Because you are a beginner, it might be helpful to others if you described what you did/what tools/what techniques you chose.

We on the forum tend to inundate people with ideas, but we don't always know what worked and what didn't.
 
Thanks barbv for your suggestion, will remember to leave more on the outside next time. His ears were glued til he's 6months old and after he came to me i changed to gum cuz his ears were getting allergies to the tApe. But his breeder said he had it naturally tipped anyway but we just wanted to be sure :)

I used a thinning shear like the video suggested. And a slicker to comb the fur, I trim then comb then trim. I started by combing all the furor upwards then cut off any obvious bits outside the ear shape. The back of the ears had the most fur growing in all directions, I wanted it to look like it had the same length throughout so I spent a lot of time thinning and shortening them. Thats it. Anything I did wrong? Lol
 
Thanks barbv for your suggestion, will remember to leave more on the outside next time. His ears were glued til he's 6months old and after he came to me i changed to gum cuz his ears were getting allergies to the tApe. But his breeder said he had it naturally tipped anyway but we just wanted to be sure :)

I used a thinning shear like the video suggested. And a slicker to comb the fur, I trim then comb then trim. I started by combing all the furor upwards then cut off any obvious bits outside the ear shape. The back of the ears had the most fur growing in all directions, I wanted it to look like it had the same length throughout so I spent a lot of time thinning and shortening them. Thats it. Anything I did wrong? Lol

Which video did you use? We've posted a few on the forum. Was it the one from Lovelyshelties?

When it comes to trimming....less is more! You can always trim more later, but it takes awhile for hair to grow back.

So while you are learning, just to small bits and then gradually gain your confidence to cut more. Eventually you'll know when its enough.

I remember when I had Bacca at 9 months old and I brought home Ginnie to be his new big sister. Unfortunately, the two did not work out together, so I had to bring Ginnie back (and brought the devil, Indy home as replacement). The breeder went almost pale in the face because I had "trimmed" Ginnies ears.....apparently too aggressively! I learned my lesson.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top