Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

My sheltie is starting Fluoxetine and on trazadone, anyone can share their experiences with these?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by ClaraC, May 30, 2018.

1. ClaraC

ClaraC Forums Novice

May 29, 2018
    Hi Caro,
    Thank you so much for your reply and all the tips! Its so helpful and makes me feel better we are not the only one. We move end of this month from Michigan US to Japan. I am nervous because Japan has many cars / people and it will be hard to find somewhere quiet for her to walk. Also i don't think they have many good size dog park that is away from the road. How did you manage to walk/exercise Tully? Do you walk around the neighborhood? I see you are from Australia :) My husband is Australian and I was also living in Australia before we move to the US in 2016 :) We miss Australia and can't wait to move back!

Caro likes this.
  2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    My biggest problem was the kangaroos (there's more roos than cars in Canberra), Tully goes psycho for them. Walk to the bushland/park past all the cars, then get to the bushland and it was full of roos. It was so exhausting.

During the worst period a head collar was essential (esp as she bit me once from her redirected silliness) and once she knew fetch I always had her Airdog Donut with me and just squeaked it to get her focus. The head collars can take a while to get used to, the dogs will 'nose ski' at first. The head collars (I like Halti the best) are essentially the same as a halter on a horse and you can steer the dog's head in the direction you want, so away from looking at the cars, and any pulling causes their head to turn. But you need to introduce it slowly, have them wear it around the house and while eating.

As for the kangaroos - she would only leave them alone if I had a high value alternative, like fetch, and even then it wasn't guaranteed.

Btw - I should mention Tully is 11 years old and she's still barking at cars from the back of the car, she's so high drive she never completely grew out of it. But I can walk her by the side of the road. Atm they are living in a busy part of Melbourne and she doesn't even notice the cars. The vet behaviourist once said when there are a lot of things that stir them up (Tully was also scared of other dogs) there's too much to bark at so they just give up. So at least when you get to Japan, if it's really busy Evee may give up.