Nails, nails, nails

Okay, so this is sounding very normal. Jeez. I obviously never knew because I walked the dogs on cement which probably helped filed it down and I've always had carpet so never hear them (unless they're in the kitchen or bathroom). Dangit! I was hoping I'd get a break. I've been snipping away every other day to get the quick to recede. Darnit, I was hoping there was a way to stop it. Maybe I need a cat scratch pole thingy. Thing that'll work? LOL.
 
Okay, so this is sounding very normal. Jeez. I obviously never knew because I walked the dogs on cement which probably helped filed it down and I've always had carpet so never hear them (unless they're in the kitchen or bathroom). Dangit! I was hoping I'd get a break. I've been snipping away every other day to get the quick to recede. Darnit, I was hoping there was a way to stop it. Maybe I need a cat scratch pole thingy. Thing that'll work? LOL.
someone posted once about a similar thing- a board with sandpaper or something else rough on it and the dog was taught to paw at the board and basically do their own nails.......
 
Oh my gosh, I never trim the fur between Beau's paws and only do his nails about once a month. We have wood floors, I must be a terrible sheltie mom. So...how do I go about trimming the fur? Advice please.
 
Oh my gosh, I never trim the fur between Beau's paws and only do his nails about once a month. We have wood floors, I must be a terrible sheltie mom. So...how do I go about trimming the fur? Advice please.

That part at least is easy compared to doing nails, Pam. I find it's easiest to do nails and trim paw fur when I sit on the floor and place the dog on its back between my legs. I put a crate pad there for them to lay on. I use my short (5-inch) scissors and just snip off the fur between the pads. It keeps them clean but more importantly, gives the dogs traction since that's what the pads do. You can also use a pair of small scissors with a rounded tip.

If your dog will let you, you can also pick up the paw when you groom while the dog is standing and trim the paw fur that way.
 
someone posted once about a similar thing- a board with sandpaper or something else rough on it and the dog was taught to paw at the board and basically do their own nails.......

Oh dang. I need to train my dogs on this. I mean, they'd know when it's too close to the quick, right? lol
 
Oh my gosh, I never trim the fur between Beau's paws and only do his nails about once a month. We have wood floors, I must be a terrible sheltie mom. So...how do I go about trimming the fur? Advice please.

Your not a terrible Sheltie mom Pam...life just gets away from us sometimes. I use a hair trimmer to do between Piper's pads, much much easier than scissors (Piper tends to pull his paw away at the last second lol.
 
Thought about you guys today.

Here they come.
Click click click click click click click click click.
Click click click click click click click click click.
Pause....Pause....
Click click click click click click click click click.
Click click click click click click click click click.
There they go....

Ok, on the grooming table, out comes the dremel. I just did this last weekend! But I got a haunch holder grooming loop now, so Mr. You-Will-Not-Touch-My-Left-Rear-Foot will not win the day!
 
I do nails when I remember. Suffice it to say that yes, my Shelties' nails are too long. But everyone is pretty cooperative except Annie Laurie, who viciously gums me if she thinks I'm going to hurt her. :lol:
 
Nails - when I notice Brooke's front middle ones going sideways! She must have a funny gait due to her arthritis, because she doesn't wear down the middle nails on her front feet. The others are OK. Both girls hate their nails done but they will tolerate it. Asta and Ally used to run for the hills when I opened the drawer where the nail clippers are....

I actually use electric clippers to trim up their feet - Brooke gets really long unkempt paws if I don't - the only Sheltie I've had with that problem (on the tops of her feet). I've always trimmed up the bottoms to keep them cleaner. Use the clippers for under their tails, too.
 
Although Minnie does not like to fix her nails :no:

She is so sweet that she jumps up my lap when I sit down and show her the automatic grinder, she will not even receive a little treat, so she really hates this :yes:

We shed first paw= She receives and take a treat, so we do until all four are done.

So she lies completely still and relaxed with me for several minutes afterwards,
which is not normal - very strange :confused2:

But she is so sweet :hugs
 
Back
Top