Need Advice ASAP

Jaspers_Mommy

Forums Regular
So Jasper has had kennel cough for a long time.. we've taken him to the vet 2 times and the second time we almost had it cleared up but ran outta meds. so now jasper is on them again and its almost all gone...

my pressing issue is i wanted to take him to get his vaccinations tomorrow.. he hasnt had any because the vets didnt want to do it while he had the cough...

should i bring him tomorrow? im still giving him the meds for the cough and he still has it a bit, but he needs a rabies vac. and all the others as well...
hes 4 1/2 months old and got the kennel cough around 2 1/2 months old...

HELP!

PLEASE!
 
Last edited:
So sorry that Jasper's been sick. I would want to get his shots asap too. Why don't you call the vet. hospital and ask them if you should get the shots now? Jasper should be okay as long as you keep him in your house or backyard. Just don't take him out and walk him, or have any other dogs over unless you're sure the visiting dogs are up to date on their shots.
 
You shouldn't ever get a dog shots if they're not 100% healthy. I'd wait until the kennel cough was completely cleared up and his health was back to 100% before I got him any shots.
 
As far as helping him get over the Kennel Cough, did the Vet change the antibiotic after the first round didn't seem to do the job? At the Shelter, we've used either azithromycin or doxycycline with stubborn cases. If the coughing is bad, try Pediatric Robitussin. Check the label to make sure it doesn't include ibuprofen or acetaminophen. First, ask your Vet's opinion about using it and for the correct dose. As far as the vaccines - I would call your Vet to see if he/she would even give the vaccines while Jasper is still sick.
 
No to Shots!

I learned the hard way never never never to give vaccinations to a sick dog. My Pixie had a bad case of coccidia as a puppy that took four months to cure and I let my old vet vaccinate her during that time. That is how she got canine epilepsy. You can certainly wait on the vaccines until Jasper is healthy. Just keep him away from other dogs, dog parks and places he could contract something. Good luck...I hope he is better soon!
 
I'm with the others one this one. The purposes in most cases with any vaccination is they will more or less inject you with the virus. So if you were to take Jasper to get his shots you'd be "kicking him while he's still down." I mean, call to get your vets opinion, because that's always a good thing to have, but if they tell you to bring him in for his shots, I would say no thank you, have a nice day, hang up and be looking for another vet. If ANYTHING, take him in for his cough...not the shots. I just don't feel comfortable with this whole situation...bad things can and do happen, as Ania said. Poor Pixie.
Hope everything works out, and Jasper starts to feel better soon!
 
thank you everyone, yea i thought the same thing.. just needed to make sure... i mean i can go march 7th so its not a big deal if i wait, i just wish he would get over this cough already.. ugh!...
 
I agree with everyone else here. No shots while he isn't 100 %. I would for certain make sure the vet rechecks and if it's not clear this time new Antibiotic is warranted !:winkgrin:
 
Romeo had pneumonia which started as a cough (then it got phlegmy and he got a fever). He was also due for a vaccination. The vet said not to vaccinate until the pneumonia is cleared and he's off antibiotics for over a week (or something like that - I can't remember the exact number of days post anti-biotics now).
 
I would also wait until he's 100%. Since I don't trust vets anymore, I wouldn't even bother to ask their opinion.
 
Back
Top