Need advice on new puppy. Girl or Boy?

my shelties are reserved with strangers they are fine with people they just dont want anyone petting them until they descide they are ok, but alot of people that know or have shelties say typical sheltie they are a shy breed. with my 3 shelties I have 2 females and 1 male and the male and 1 female warm up quickly to strangers but my other one takes her time.
 
I have 3 females and they are all a little different. Marlie is my alert dog and won't shut up for about 5 minutes when someone comes over. Rasha will love anyone that walks through the door. Zoe needs to check them out for a few before she decides it's ok and wants attention. Marlie is much more reserved and it seems to be mostly with men, not so much with women. She warms up to women a lot quicker.
 
It's definitely in the breed that they are standoffish. The AKC description of the temperament even accounts for that:

"However, he may be reserved toward strangers but not to the point of showing fear or cringing in the ring."

So it's definitely normal that shelties aren't too sure about strangers right away. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule :)
 
Bacca is definitely the exception to the rule!

Anywhere he meets anyone new, he's wiggling all around trying to get close and looking up at them as if to say "Helloooooo! Do you love me too!" It's quite pathetic, really! :rolleyes2::biggrin2:
 
Thanks everyone. I know that shelties are a bit 'shy' with strangers, and I like that. I've decided to get a second puppy. I have a 5 month old now, and will be picking up the new pup in 4 weeks. I will have two males and I hope they will get along fabulously. My pup, Chinook, is very loving and I've been socializing him extensively. He's very passive and loves to play with other dogs, so I am sure he will love the new puppy. I think I will be very busy in the next months.
Ania and Chinook
 
Back
Top