Need Help Choosing CC Buttercomb

I don't think I would spend $38 on a comb.

Like you, I used to use the furminator. I still use it on occasion (using a line brushing technique as we as discussed in other threads), but lately I've reverted back to a pretty standard rake.

When the coat is really dense:

1) First I give it once over with a pin brush, just to smooth thinks out
2) Then I alternate between the rake and my favourite slicker....my Lawrence. I use the slicker mostly to detangle and the rake to remove the dead hair. Again, always line brushing
3) Then I finish with the pin brush.

And always, wetting the hair, either with water or CC Ice on Ice or other detangling/conditioning spray.
 
I don't think I would spend $38 on a comb.

Like you, I used to use the furminator. I still use it on occasion (using a line brushing technique as we as discussed in other threads), but lately I've reverted back to a pretty standard rake.

When the coat is really dense:

1) First I give it once over with a pin brush, just to smooth thinks out
2) Then I alternate between the rake and my favourite slicker....my Lawrence. I use the slicker mostly to detangle and the rake to remove the dead hair. Again, always line brushing
3) Then I finish with the pin brush.

And always, wetting the hair, either with water or CC Ice on Ice or other detangling/conditioning spray.

I know how to groom, the problem is I have a dog that is VERY sensitive to pulling, which I can't avoid with the furminator.

I have both a decent rake and pin brush but these doesn't get the majority of their undercoat out for some reason. This is why I'm resorting to spending a small fortune on combs, because buying less expensive grooming tools hasn't been working.
 
I know how to groom, the problem is I have a dog that is VERY sensitive to pulling, which I can't avoid with the furminator.

I have both a decent rake and pin brush but these doesn't get the majority of their undercoat out for some reason. This is why I'm resorting to spending a small fortune on combs, because buying less expensive grooming tools hasn't been working.

Melissa

I know you know how to groom...we've been talking on the forum for several years on various techniques. In fact, it was you that got me on the furminator and the bikini shaver in the first place, I think.

I was simply responding to your question, and letting you know what works for me. That's all.

If I seemed "preachy" then I apologize. That was not my intent. Just trying to help.
 
Melissa

I know you know how to groom...we've been talking on the forum for several years on various techniques. In fact, it was you that got me on the furminator and the bikini shaver in the first place, I think.

I was simply responding to your question, and letting you know what works for me. That's all.

If I seemed "preachy" then I apologize. That was not my intent. Just trying to help.

Sorry if you misunderstood my tone, was just trying to give you some back ground on what my grooming issues are and what I've tried.

It almost hurts me to even consider spending so much money on a comb, I'm super cheap, lol. :winkgrin:

But in hindsight I've wasted a lot of money on grooming tools that aren't working for me so I guess I have to take the plunge. :rolleyes2:
 
Grooming Tool Update

I broke down and bought a whole bunch of stuff at a dog show from my regional CC supplier.

I ended up getting the #011 Butter Comb (as suggested by the supplier) and a wooden pin brush.

I was excited that both came with a money back guarantee in case I didn't like them. But both are great, neither will be going back.

I find using them takes more time than the furminator, but they are significantly gentler than the furminator is and do a great job of removing loose fur.

Toby, who is very sensitive about even the slightest pulling of his fur is MUCH more accepting of being brushed when I use these tools.

They've changed their wooden pin brush a little apparently, they now come with some sort of coating on the handle that comes in a few fun colors. I love the coating, it has a nice feeling to it. Mine is purple.

I also thought I'd try some white on white for their white areas and some thick 'n thicker for Toby. I've yet to try the thick 'n thicker.

As for the white on white, maybe I'm just not observant but I didn't notice a difference. I'd thought their white areas would glow after using it but it looked just as white as it always has.

I use Mane & Tail Shampoo and Conditioner on my crew and have always been impressed with how white it gets them, so maybe thats why the white on white didn't seem to make difference. I first shampooed with Mane & Tail, then used White on White.
 
I put my furminator down and haven't picked it up in years since it ruined my cats coat-made it all frizzy in just a few strokes. Took months to go back to normal. Has anyone noticed guard hair damage with the furminator? You can't use it on wet fur so how is it safe for sheltie hair? Only use it while line-brushing?
 
I put my furminator down and haven't picked it up in years since it ruined my cats coat-made it all frizzy in just a few strokes. Took months to go back to normal. Has anyone noticed guard hair damage with the furminator? You can't use it on wet fur so how is it safe for sheltie hair? Only use it while line-brushing?

I use if rarely if at all, and only when Indy's butt is out of control. I think I've used it once in the last two years.

When I do use it, I mist the fur. Not wet, but just slightly damp, and I definitely line brush. It only touches the undercoat. I don't even pull it all the way through. I use it to loosen the undercoat and then use comb, rake and slicker to draw it out.
 
Back
Top