Need something for the boys to chew on

Aron's bully sticks are excellent - they last for weeks with my dogs, and there is no smell at all. It is a Canadian company, and their products can be purchased online. Unfortunately they are expensive, so I just picked up an order from "bestbullysticks.com" to try them out as an alternative - I'll let you know how they are. I also found the himalayan cheese too expensive, and my dogs didn't show interest in the antlers. Fingers are crossed that these new bully sticks do the job :-).
 
Missy likes bully sticks, but they're so expensive and she eats them so fast, I don't buy them very often. And the smell gets to me like Ashley, even though they're "odorless". She didn't care for the antler I got her almost a year ago, so I gave it to my parent's dogs, one of which laid down and chewed on it it for a good 30 minutes. That's 10x long than Missy.. lol. I did buy a pack of himilayan chews, and while she was initially interested, I think she was turned off by how hard it was. So we need something not too hard, but not so soft that it's gone in 5 minutes. She's not a big chewer at all, but she does get bored.. so I've just been doing yogurt in a kong and freezing it.

With the antler, I tried making it more enticing by soaking it in chicken broth.. but it's just not tasty enough. My aunt is going to get us a split antler. She has a good antler dealer (lol) since her boxer LOVES them. If it doesn't work, we'll just give it to my parent's dogs again.
 
Callie has never shown any interest at all in kongs. We've had some of them around as our lab used to like them, but she doesn't even sniff at them.

I'd be willing to try stuffing one and freezing it and seeing if it interests her, but don't quite understand the whole process. I assume you put whatever you're stuffing it with in the hole at the end, but doesn't it leak out after it warms up and get all over everything? Also, how do they get it out? I don't know that her mouth is capable of biting it hard enough to squeeze it all out.
 
I give it to her on a towl just in case it does melt.. but she usually licks it clean before it gets to that point. I don't know about other dogs, but mine just licks the stuffing out.
 
Olive likes her bully sticks. She also enjoys the Himalayan chews - those are good for chewing and for sending her on crazy puppy zoomies. The owner of the local frou-frou dog store recommended that I keep the little piece of the chew and grate it over her food just like parmesan cheese. Olive loves it.

Antlers... I bought a solid (not split) elk antler last fall and she would occasionally pay some attention to it, but it was nothing special. At the DKC show last weekend, I bought her a split elk antler, and man... it's like dog crack. Olive especially likes it if I hold it for her so she can concentrate on chewing and not have to deal with holding it. She is so spoiled. :lol:

Olive does try to use our cats as chew toys; I don't recommend it. A good chew toy will not fight back.:yes:
 
You all are going to persuade me to try a bully stick,aren't you? The whole idea just is so disgusting to me.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
 
What do you think of this? I know Blue Buffalo has been in the news lately with people saying it's making their dogs sick. So maybe not a good idea to try?

Blue Bones Natural Dental Chew Bones
 
Blue Buffalo put out a press release yesterday - their food is safe. They have not been bought out:

Hi pet parents. Recently we have seen a rash of FB posts expressing concern about information you have read about Blue Buffalo on other web sites. Some of these other posts are on sites that claim to contain “independent” reviews of products. Some even have names that might be read to suggest the sites have official government functions. And the posts tell some very negative stories about Blue Buffalo. We have also read these posts, and we are very concerned, because of their total lack of accuracy with regard to the quality of BLUE food.

They may claim that BLUE sources its meat from China. Absolutely false. Or that we get grains from China. Also false. Or that we have been sold to a “conglomerate”. Yep, you guessed, it: totally false...we're an independent and family run company.

Some of the posts tell distressing stories about pet illnesses, and describe BLUE’s alleged refusal to respond to inquiries about the pet illnesses. Nothing could be further from the truth. We take all claims about the integrity of our products very seriously. Every single claim that comes into our Customer Care Center, either by e-mail or telephone, is fully investigated. The medical records are reviewed by our veterinarians, our manufacturing records are pored over, to look for any indication that an error has occurred. And, we keep very detailed records of all claims. So we know when a post on another site matches up with a claim we have received at Customer Care. They almost never do. If the “consumers” who write these posts really do exist, the stories they tell have almost never been brought to us in a way that would allow us to investigate, verify, and respond to the claim. These claims are unsubstantiated, and we firmly believe that it's their design because competition is not always friendly, and the web can be used to start rumors without the need for any support.

The important thing to take away from all of this for you, as pet parents, is to be very suspicious of any of these “review” sites. And certainly do not rely on them for information about Blue Buffalo, or any product for that matter. If you want to know anything about Blue Buffalo or its products, please contact our Customer Care Team using the tab above or by calling 1-800-919-2833. Our Customer Care associates, who are employees of Blue Buffalo here in the United States, are there for you and will help resolve any issues you may have. The integrity of our products is the lifeblood of our brand, and the relationship of trust we have with you and all companion animals, and is something we will never compromise.
 
Bully sticks, home made dehydrated pig's ears (if you have a dehydrator), himalayan chews and antlers (mine like moose antlers which they will actually fight over).
 
Back
Top