New Foray

Lovely

Forums Enthusiast
Up to now, I haven't really been doing very much grooming on Duncan. I have a slicker and a pin brush and use them regularly, but nothing like a true line brush (his coat is very thin). However, his fur does curl. I am guessing he would look a little better if her were neatly groomed. So, tomorrow, that is my big project (besides grading 4 classes of tests)!

To get the hair straight, I think you have to blow dry it. I've never done this, but he likes to get the air on him when I use it on myself (not very often). Pierre especially likes it, but he is a Papillon and they are very "wash and wear."

After I bathe them both tomorrow, I would love to experiment on this whole grooming thing! Advice or tips?

P.S.
Pictures of the before and after will be up once done!
 
Nothing wrong with curl. But the blow dryer does make for a fuller coat -- just watch that it doesn't blow too long on any one part. Those dryers get hot! :eek2:
 
I have a cool shot feature which I use often enough on myself, so I'm sure I will make amble use of it tomorrow.

This is the gameplan:

Start with Pierre. His coat is thinner and he doesn't mind the bath or the blow drier. Give treats, make him feel beautiful. (His ego is still slightly damaged as his tail hasn't fully grown in since Duncan's tail pulling days.) Duncan will watch, get interested, get blown at by the drier a few times and see it isn't all that bad. Plus, I get practice on Pierre's nearly indestructible fur.

Then, bathe Duncan. After that, blot dry and get comfy on a towel with him, drier, treats, and brushes at hand.

I'm hoping my plan works! :P It would be great to see Duncan looking like he has a proper coat. His lines tend to grow their coat in nearer 3 years. His grandmother was on premises and had a beautiful flowing mahogany coat!
 
I'm looking forward to seeing the before and after shots. Just remember that they deserve tons of cookies or the SUBU will be after you! :wink2:
 
All done!

Before:
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/the_gallows/Furbabies/P2280008.jpg
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/the_gallows/Furbabies/P2280010.jpg
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/the_gallows/Furbabies/P2280011.jpg
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/the_gallows/Furbabies/P2280013.jpg

During:
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/the_gallows/Furbabies/P2280017.jpg
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/the_gallows/Furbabies/P2280020.jpg

After:
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/the_gallows/Furbabies/P2280019.jpg
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/the_gallows/Furbabies/P2280025.jpg
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/the_gallows/Furbabies/P2280026.jpg
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/the_gallows/Furbabies/P2280027.jpg
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/the_gallows/Furbabies/P2280028.jpg

So... It went pretty well for a first timer, I think. Pierre wimpered in the tub, but Duncan held strong. Then again, Pierre thought the blow drier felt nice, while Duncan vocalized his dislike between bouts of shaking. If he shook, I stopped, calmed him and loved on him. I quickly realized that is was just when I got near his face (I'd been scattering the attention to avoid over heating). I did the rest of his body fine. When I wanted to do his ruff, I put it on low and offered him a piece of chicken hotdog. To get it, he had to put his nose in the stream of air. He did with utmost haste. After that, he was much more as ease. I left him a tad bit damp because he was wearing thin on patience with me toward the end.

As for the SUBU, I believe they will be pleased. Before the bath, the boys and I hatched out an agreement. No pictures of being in the bath - that would be ultimate humiliation. Wet was borderline, but I upped the treats from normal tiny training treats to cut up chicken dogs. AND afterward, they got to pose in their Daddy's recliner before they got a carrot each. Pierre is just grateful his tail is almost fluffy again! Duncan made a comment earlier about having thick enough pants to be comfortable sitting on a glacier. Something tells me he was bragging.
 
I can smell their sweet coats from here! You really did a great job making the experience pleasant. Congrats on two lovelies. :wink2:
 
Back
Top