New Groomer - Hope She's Good!

Melissa, sorry you had a bad experience with the groomer.

So many people (you, Barb, and me included) have had bad experiences with groomers and shelties. Because of it, I refuse to get mine groomed anywhere. It may not look "right" when I do it, but at least I'm not cutting off too much.
 
Melissa, sorry you had a bad experience with the groomer.

So many people (you, Barb, and me included) have had bad experiences with groomers and shelties. Because of it, I refuse to get mine groomed anywhere. It may not look "right" when I do it, but at least I'm not cutting off too much.

Yeah, I know what you mean. At least I was clear that I didn't want them shaved down! Its taken about a month for their fur to grow in enough that it doesn't look so severe. Could have been MUCH worse.

I do their grooming all year round, except xmas when I try to give myself a break and let someone else deal with it.

At least I know I can trust my trainer when the time comes to have them groomed by someone else again. In the mean time, I think I'm going to ask her if she can show me her techniques for ears and paws.
 
Yes, your experience is same as mine. I was not totally unhappy with what they did, but it did remind me that I need to be more explicit in my instructions.

The butt guard hair will grow back. None of this is irreversible, and neither dog looks ridiculous in the meantime. Only another Sheltie owner would really notice that it's not right.

Going forward, I'm going to print out instructions to the groomer. Per the post on my own thread on this topic today, I will also post this instructions to the forum. Verbal apparently is not enough. These are well meaning people, but mostly they are used to people who don't groom their dogs AT ALL! So they err on the side of caution, and do more.

I think building a rapport with your groomer is the main thing. I had that but then she moved on somewhere else. With a checklist, at least you've got something to give to the next groomer to take on your dog.
 
Yes, your experience is same as mine. I was not totally unhappy with what they did, but it did remind me that I need to be more explicit in my instructions.

The butt guard hair will grow back. None of this is irreversible, and neither dog looks ridiculous in the meantime. Only another Sheltie owner would really notice that it's not right.

Going forward, I'm going to print out instructions to the groomer. Per the post on my own thread on this topic today, I will also post this instructions to the forum. Verbal apparently is not enough. These are well meaning people, but mostly they are used to people who don't groom their dogs AT ALL! So they err on the side of caution, and do more.

I think building a rapport with your groomer is the main thing. I had that but then she moved on somewhere else. With a checklist, at least you've got something to give to the next groomer to take on your dog.

After Cassie had her paws infected at the grooming salon we said Bye to this salon. She had to take antibiotic for infection and also have her paws shampooed twice a week. She was so very uncomfortable.

The veterinarian office gave us a phone number of the mobile groomer. We tried. Rose is wonderful. She has been doing Cassie's grooming for a year or so now.

Those of you who have bad experience with the grooming ask your vet. office for the referral. You may pay some extra bucks for the mobile grooming but it's really worth it. We no longer are afraid that Cassie gets an infection.

It was terrible to see her suffering.
 
Those of you who have bad experience with the grooming ask your vet. office for the referral. You may pay some extra bucks for the mobile grooming but it's really worth it. We no longer are afraid that Cassie gets an infection.

It was terrible to see her suffering.

Great idea, I never even thought of that.
 
Glad to hear you found a groomer....in your trainer! How cool.

Honestly, my mom had taken our Yorkie to a groomer, who got rave reviews by a handful of people. We just said to give him a puppy cut (which as far as I know, just means to trim evenly all around). We got him back. Poor thing was shaved on his tummy, ear hair wasn't trimmed, and are you ready for this? His scrotum had been nicked by the razor, not once, but TWICE!!!!

After that experience (this is pre-Sheltie), I refuse to take my dogs to groomers unless 1. they have Shelties and 2. I see their work. So yes, I trim my dogs as well as I can. No, they are not close to show standards, but they're pets, not show dogs. I don't care when Koji looks like a Papillon (besides, in his agility jumping photos, it's kinda cute). And Tami (member here) was nice enough NOT to comment on the hack job I did on them. LOL.

Ugh. And people keep telling me to SHAVE THEIR HAIR!!!! What is wrong with people? Yes, its hot. But shaving them won't help. Sheesh.

Anyways. Back to your grooming experience. Here's hoping your trainer knows what to do....I bet she will, especially if she noticed the bad job the other groomer did.
 
Back
Top