Nourishing Shampoo??

lacey.jane22

Forums Novice
I'm new here, my sheltie named Teddy, is 6 years old. I work as a vet tech/groomer, and as I was brushing him out the other day I noticed the feathers on his left front leg was a lot shorter than the other. I got to looking and noticed that I needed a fine tooth comb because the hair looked matted around his elbow. So as I brushed it out dry skin flakes started coming out through the hair. So I took him in and had the vet I work with check it out, she said it looked like he had a skin allergy and that I should use a nourishing shampoo on him, I had been bathing him in an Aloe and Oatmeal Shampoo. I'm just wondering if there is a better skin nourishing shampoo out there, because I'm still having to brush that part out at least every other day. I don't want to have to resort to allergy shots because in my opinion when the shot wears out it just makes the symptoms worse. So does anybody know of a better shampoo to use for skin allergies and will still make the coat look beautiful? He's my baby and I still want him to look good...Thanks for the help ahead of time.

-Lacey
 
I'm not sue about the leap from dry skin to allergies. Especially if he was packed in. I use the same shampoo on all my dogs, and have a medicated shampoo for other dogs in really bad shape (rescues). Is Toby black? Black dogs always produce more dander, I'm not sure why.
 
Last edited:
If it's dry skin, you'd be better treating it from the inside out. Add Vibrant Pets to his diet, and/or some salmon oil. Many of us here use VP and have had great results with it and you can get a 20 percent discount from Sheltie Nation. (www.vibrantpets.com) Treating him with shampoo will just help the symptoms, but not treat the cause.

Oatmeal and Aloe shampoo is good for dry skin, so you're on the right track there. I used Buddy Wash Lavender and Mint on my girl when her skin was flaky. My vet said I needed to find something with tea tree oil in it and that has it. It's available on Amazon.
 
Why is this site bent on pushing supplements? How about a correct diet to begin with? Then you don't need supplements.

It is expected to have flaky skin under matted hair, this is nothing that diet will fix. Get rid of the mat and the skin will clear on its own.
 
sounds like it was just dry skin from the fur being matted in. My older ones will sometimes get skin on their elbows, especially in the winter as my house is very dry!! Try washing with an oatmeal shampoo or something similar for dry skin, and see if that helps. If its an ongoing skin issue pull the thyroid and see if he is running low, a common problem in shelties, but I suspect since its just that one leg where it was matted in once it gets clean and the air can circulate to the skin the issue will clear up.
 
Welcome to the Sheltie Nation Forum! It is great to have you with us.

My first thought on an allergy is maybe it is a food allergy? Does your dog have any other symptoms such as lethargy, cranky behavior, increasing thirstiness? There can be many different reasons for dry skin. Maybe you can chat with you vet about some of the other reasons for the dry skin. Your vet should give you a bit more to go on, then shampooing. Over bathing also causes dry skin, especially if that matted hair is not dried thoroughly and holds moisture against the skin.

Why is this site bent on pushing supplements? How about a correct diet to begin with? Then you don't need supplements.

Just so that everyone is clear.

The "site" is NOT bent on pushing supplements.

This is an open forum and when someone asks a question, everyone who wants to help, gives their opinion. We are all different people offering different opinions. I hope that clears things up for you a bit :wink2:
 
I would look at the diet first. What are you feeding? It may not be a skin allergy, but perhaps the food you are feeding could be upgraded that includes more natural "additives" that improve skin condition. Any food that includes salmon oil is a good choice, in my view.

Some people do choose to do supplements, but my preference is to look at the food first, supplements second. If you've found a good food that your dog likes but may be lacking in "something" then by all means, add it. Sometimes its just a question of which "treats" you feed them. One of most popular (and the hardest to get, btw - I've been backordered for weeks) are salmon rolls....yep salmon skin rolled up into a bone shape.

And of course, nothing beats good grooming, as ClantyreSheltie said.

Hows that for covering all bases! ;-)
 
Why is this site bent on pushing supplements? How about a correct diet to begin with? Then you don't need supplements.

It is expected to have flaky skin under matted hair, this is nothing that diet will fix. Get rid of the mat and the skin will clear on its own.

This site, as you put it, is NOT bent on "pushing supplements," unlike some who are bent on pushing their particular diets.

Many of us have had great success with this supplement, and we're happy to share the information. It is not true that supplements won't help even if the dog eats a correct diet, which all of mine and most of ours do. Perhaps they don't need it, but it sure does enhance their skin, coat and overall health!
 
I use Fish oil tablets for skin/fur. I would also suggest paying attention to his diet and what ingredients are in it, it could be related to that. If I were you, I'd keep the dry area as clean as possible and make sure no further mats develop and it might just go away with removing the mat.
 
All dogs produce dander and if it is trapped to the skin by hair, you will see more of it when you groom it out. Also, skin on the elbows are subject to abuse if the dog is a drop to the ground when he lays down as opposed to gently lowering type of dog, are on carpeting or hard surfaces or many materials used in bedding especially if you use fabric softeners or harsh detergents in the washing of it. I air dry bedding to avoid any accumulation of fabric softener that is on the drum to penetrate the bedding and I make sure it is really well rinsed.
Dry air in the house will dry a dog's coat and skin just like it will yours. Tee tree oil is good for moist dermatitis but isn't called for with a dry skin problem. Brushing and combing on a regular basis, humidity in the air and a good food complete with omega 3 and 6 oils are usually the answer. You can use a conditioner in the coat that doesn't contain silicones. Pay attention to those elbows though for callus.
 
Back
Top