Off to the Sheltie Specialty today

I'm so excited and very full. ate way too much food then had half of the biggest eclair i have ever seen. it was yummy btw. also there are outlet shops nearby so did some christmas shopping. yup, i'm trying to do it now, so i can, you know, save for my agility. lol.

i saw a lot of shelties this afternoon while setting up. augh, they're so cute! makes me wonder if i'd want another color. my boys definitely didn't look as "fluffy" as the others, and it makes me want to fluff him up like a show dog to do jumps. lol.

Oh, and I met Tami and her dogs. i hope to catch her dogs in the ring, but will have to pay attention to my agility stuff. thankfully, it's a small area and everything is close by. :)

getting nervous for miko's rally. thinking valium, but need to walk fast, hehehe. i'll post tomorrow. i don't think it'll be a long day and i have free wifi!
 
I jinxed him. Honestly I have no idea what happened, i have looked at the videos. On his JWW run (the one he needed to get his OAJ), he was running beautifully. He missed the weave entrance, then I got him back in, he did most of it, then that was it. Huh? Solid weaves a couple weeks back. Today? Forget it.

Weaves were the 3rd obstacle in STD. He went in and was doing great. Popped out at 11. nope, i did nothing. lol both times, in this and JWw, when i tried to get him back in, he took the jump on the way back, ugh. that's due to the tighter courses, need to work on that.. and on STD run, i tried to get him back in but he refused, twice, so i put him in a sit by then because he was barking back at me, running around, and was basically not focused at all. i walked him off the course. i wasn't sure if i should, but he wasn't paying any attention to me at all. sigh.

no clue what happened there. two big fat NQ's. we'll see how tomorrow is. on the upside, our RC looked good. and the judge said his jumping was really nice. :)

i guess it could've been the wind, the civil war reenactment from earlier, who knows.

i'll post tomorrow and let's hope it goes better. maybe i shouldn't have had the move up sheet ready, lol. the boys are out cold as i type this. on the bigger upside, we were done by 2ish (with a break for the cannons and gunfires of the civil war - i guess its the largest one west of the mississippi, which in itself is quite weird).
 
With a dog who will bark you down (like my Kai, who will do the same thing), it is best to keep moving, and not get hung up in one spot. Its like my trainer says- turn and go, turn and go, turn and go. These dogs you cant hang around with. I've found its not so much that the dog isn't paying attention as it is that they're driven and frustrated. As a result, I don't stop and correct, as that situation you described is one I try to avoid. Believe me, I've been there. There was a trial about a year ago before I made that decision that she barked me down for HER missing the weave entry, then continued to tell me off... woops, I mean bark me down, an additional three times as we reattempted. Sometimes it's just best to accept the mistake and avoid that situation if you know you've got a dog who will do it.
One question.... you say he was popping poles. Was he by chance either weaving into a wall/fence, or was there a particularly close obstacle (especially a tunnel) close to the end of the weaves? Things like this will often cause a dog to pop who normally doesn't, especially since you said the courses were tight. If this could be the problem, you may remind him to weave by saying weave a couple of times starting around pole 8. You may do it anyway since he seems to be doing that this weekend. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes to some dogs to be reminded there at the end that yes, you ARE expected to continue weaving, and to stay in the poles.
 
Last edited:
If he does it again tomorrow i'll just move on. I just hate for him to get into the habit of telling me off. Oh there was nothing in front of him either. On the upside no broken start lines. I think I figured that one out at least, lol
 
Sorry to hear Koji had a bad day, Cheryl. If it makes you feel any better, Edan and I had a HORRID day at our TDAA trial - 5 runs and only 1 Q. Weave poles were the bane of my existence today also. So, you aren't alone in your misery tonight.

But, like you said, tomorrows another day! Let's go get those Qs!!!
 
Back
Top