Oily Coat?

HopeShelties

Forums Enthusiast
What would cause an oily coat in a 5 month old puppy? He has been on totw and now is on a raw diet. On both foods, he winds up with a very greasy coat fairly quickly.
I was just trying to figure out what might be causing it, and what I might do to correct it, or of nothing else treat it.
In all the time I have had dogs, and as many as I have had, I have never had one with an oily coat. It is just disgusting to have to touch.
He doesn't have any odor, fleas, parasites, or flakey skin.
 
Last edited:
Seborrhea?

Thyroid?

I'm sure those are things you've thought of.

Allergy to a particular food? I know you're on raw now, so can you try to eliminate a particular food or protein for a week or so at a time to try to figure out what it could be?
 
Allergies are the most common. You haven't been on raw long enough for it to have an effect on his coat as it can take 6-8 wks in some cases. Environmental allergies are really rare in a 5 month puppies. My Lab had a horrible oily coat that was made worse but weed allergies. Great for a hunting huh?

Really anything that causes inflammation of the skin can cause it.
 
Bacterial skin infections are easily got by dogs of any age. The body trys to flush it out by producing more oil. If this is what the problem is then nothing you feed will get rid of it only bathing and antibiotics will do it.
 
Back
Top