Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

One Mind Dogs premium membership?

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Byrdiebun, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Byrdiebun

Byrdiebun Forums Novice

Apr 18, 2011
    Idaho
    Is anyone here actually a paying member at One Mind Dogs? I'm intrigued but $50/mo seems outrageously expensive compared to the prices I'm used to with Silvia Trkman. If anyone is doing it, can you describe to me what goes on in there, the level of feedback you get, etc., esp if you're able to compare it to Silvia's classes? (SheltieChe, I think maybe you were in my puppy tricks or running contact class?)

Thanks so much.

2. Sealtainn

Sealtainn Forums Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2011
    california
    I know you were hoping to hear from someone who is paying for this but I haven't seen any replies at all :(

Like you, I feel $50/mo for that is too rich for me.
    The only people I know that do subscribe to it are professional dog trainers competing in agility. I guess they can deduct it as a business expense.
    Besides, apart from the $'s, I don't have the time to "invest" in it.
    I'll stick with what already works good enough.

3. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    I have signed up at introductory price so it is a bit cheaper for me. I would say it is fairly expensive at current $. Feedback is there and you will get reply to your clip but it is not like you get a new sequence and get to submit your homework. There is introduction of moves very well made video clips, then there is coaching corner with all kinds of stuff, Q and A format where you can post questions which get answered fairly quickly, also articles with varied topics from foundation of OMD to the mental prep etc.
    It is not a class like Silvia´s. Probably most useful for people that are somewhat familiar with OMD practice and have some experience with agility to begin with.
    OMD still in the process of forming their on line course Next step which is foundation course. Jan to April Clean Run has some really good articles on OMD. There are few DVD from OMD avail. So I would say it depends how much it worth it to you...
    For me it worth because as a handler I am in different place now where I was few months ago. Different mentality, seeing course strategy different. One of CR magazines has their foundation article, good read.
    I am seeing people taking local agility classes for years and it seems many just doing same stuff, making same mistakes, having same dogs with same problems. I want to grow. Not saying that it is only way to grow but it works for me.
    One of my pals on my encouragement is taking Susan Garrett Handling course, which is year long program for $1000. She blew everyone away at a trial couple of weeks ago with her ¨new¨ dog. I say it worth it by not wasting your entry fee and getting your Q reliably.:yes:

4. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    OMD Premium membership

One of my pals on my encouragement is taking Susan Garrett Handling course, which is year long program for $1000. She blew everyone away at a trial couple of weeks ago with her ¨new¨ dog. I say it worth it by not wasting your entry fee and getting your Q reliably.:yes:[/QUOTE That is crazy!!!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  5. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    mmm, wonder why and what is crazy... that person is doing so much better or that person gets her questions answered, her runs reviewed and coaching from top handler for entire year... Typical on line class lasts for about 8 weeks-12 weeks and cost about $250

6. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    OMD Premium membership

To each his own but I would not spend 1000.00 for any on line course especially SG.I can get all the info I need from the world team members right here in New England that know all the what they call new"fancy moves" when all they are is old moves new names!!There are so many awesome instructors out there where you don't need to spend that kind of money to learn from on line courses.This is JMO.There are so many seminars also to learn from.

7. Hurtseverywhere

Hurtseverywhere Forums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010
    London Ont
    I agree way too much, I can get Private 1/2 hour individual lessons for $40 or 1 hour group lessons max 4 per group for $20 per hour by a national team qualifier, now what is the better value the online course for $1000 dollars or 25 hours of private instruction or 50 hours of group instruction hands on instant feedback. OK if you don't have any really really good handlers around I can maybe see it but as mentioned there are lots of great handlers out there that you can learn a ton from, I just think the $1000 dollars would be better spent on the face to face trainer offering immediate feedback and corrective instruction.

8. Sealtainn

Sealtainn Forums Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2011
    california
    Offtopic: What is a national team qualifier?

Besides that I agree. $1000 would exceed my annual budget for all of group classes, privates, seminars & club practices. Since I have no where to train (no yard & leash laws are strictly enforced at public parks) I'm not sure how I could even make an online class work for any amount of money since I wouldn't be able to get anywhere to actually play with my dogs to do whatever assignments there might be.
    I know we are at a great disadvantage over most others given the lack of resources available, yet when we do compete, if we are on our game we can compete with the best (I'll qualify that as in competition with world champions, national champions, team usa members, former members).
    No, I haven't been to a National Championship as the time from work, the travel & cost has been prohibitive. Have we qualified? You bet we have.
    So it makes me think it is crazy the amount of $'s some people spend. I don't see that money for online feedback raising our competitiveness.

9. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    Here privates cost about $100 per hour at least.

10. Byrdiebun

Byrdiebun Forums Novice

Apr 18, 2011
    Idaho
    In my very rural area it's online courses or nothing, so I'm glad to have the option, but I do find the marketing tactics of some of them to be really offputting. I can imagine a set of circumstances in which I'd be willing to hand over $1000 for a year's worth of instruction with a top handler (a drop in the bucket, I'm sure, compared to what most of us blow on agility). But I do have a hard time getting past the icky timeshare sales rep vibe of some of them.

SheltieChe, I PM'd you!