Open Letter to SN Veterinarians

JLSOhio51

Forums Enthusiast
It would seem that there are at least two veterinarians here at SN (Dr. Shelli and Dr. Mac). Something Dr. Shelli said on the "CERF Clinic" thread piqued my interest and spawned a question. She (Dr. Shelli), referenced "her vet" in that thread. My question for any vet here (or vet techs for that matter) is: How do vets decide what types of issues to handle with their own animals and which issues to go to another vet for? Is the decision based on issues that may require specialized knowledge (like oncology, etc.) or is it severity? Or do you send routine issues to your vet?

I fully understand if vets here do not wish to answer questions about your personal decisions, but I was just a little surprised when Dr. Shelli mentioned her vet. Its just an issue I never gave much thought to. Thus my question. Perhaps I am not the only one with this same question.
 
I don't mind answering.

I go to alot of different vets based on need. In the thread about the CERF clinic, I am not an boarded ophthalmologist and can therefore not do CERF exams. Only boarded ophthalmologist can, therefore if I want to get a dog CERF'd I have to use an outisde vet. I could just go to a clinic at a show or one that is held by a club by I perfer to use the one I go to. Also with puppies, clinics are not always available when I need the exams done.

I also use specialists for othropedic procedures. I am not a "bone" surgeon and there are people WAY more talented then me in the complex surgery department.

I also have a surgeron set up for C sections if I need them. I am way to emotional to be the one with the knife in those situations. I am great at reviving pups though and medical management so I stick to that area. Same if one of my dogs needed major surgery like a forgein body. It is like operating on your kid. Too nerve racking for me. Some people can do it, not me. i also do not spay or neuter my pets for the same reason. I did my own dogs mass removals, teeth cleanings etc when I was able.

I do take charge of all my dogs medicine needs, preventative care. One thing that makes me different now, is that I don't work in a public clinic anymore. i work in a shelter so if I need blood work or radiographs done , I need to take them some place that I can get the diagnostic done. So I have some relationships for that too. I don't need input on what to do with the info but my collegues are are great and let my pick their brains if needed. i can get supplies and drugs on my own. Yes I do pay them, they set the charge I paid them what they feel is fair.

When I was in private practice i did everything myself for my dogs except surgery.
 
I don't mind answering.

Thanks so much Dr. Shelli. I was a little reluctant to pose the question because it seemed a bit too personally directed. Your answer was excellent and hit all of the types of questions bouncing around in my little pea brain. I am not sure if I said this before, but I for one feel extremely blessed for the resource you provide for us here at SN. Thank you again.
 
I am not a vet, nor am I a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but, I have worked for a Dr's Family as a Nanny for young children. I think the question is similar in that one has to ask themselves how detached and objective can they be when treating a family member. For instance, Can a doctor of a young child really, tell if their child is just having a regular old stomach ache versus appendicitis. ( Some may say yes, some may say no) This is why doctors are not advised to treat family members.
 
The vet I worked with told me after the first time I was involved in my own animal's surgery "Go get a coffee while I do this, I'll get Anne to come in". I also did all the puppy work during C. Sections but did not prep my own dog for the surgery. Too hard to disassociate.
 
If I were a vet, I would be like Dr. Shelli - some stuff I would do, other stuff would be left to those with experience in that particular area. It is like your family doctor - they can do some things, others they refer to specialists. As a side note to doctors treating their own family members, I worked with a doctor once who was treating his own young daughter to flu. She died, as to the cause I don't know. I would not want to be responsible for things that are not what I would/should treat.
 
I am not a vet but I am a surgical nurse and would like to comment on Dr's treating family members. Personally I have been asked several times to assist in treating my own family members during surgery. I had to decline because I can not guarantee that I would be able to think and act clearly if something bad were to happen.

I know most surgeons that I work with feel the same way and will refer their family members to a trusted colleague.

I guess what I am trying to say is I think any responsible doctor, be it a vet or MD knows their limitations and will not hesitate to refer their family members (pets included) to the most appropriate Dr. To me I have a lot more respect for someone who can say that they do not feel comfortable.

Jusy my 2 cents.
 
Back
Top