Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Owners of male dogs

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Cleo2014, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    So, quick question. Relic has a lot of fur around his "thing" and it gets very messy when he pees. What do you do to keep it clean? Is trimming the hair acceptable? I am lost as this is my first male dog. haha

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I trim the area, it doesn't get too messy but I'd rather not think about what that long fur catches. Deska quite happily lays on his back with his legs apart for his 'willy trim'. He's such a tart.

tesslynn, RikyR, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm rolling on the floor here!! Yes, Colonel Underpants gets a trim when I think about it.

tesslynn likes this.
  4. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I trim Koji's hair. But I have to admit, sometimes it's nice because his urine dribbles down the fur to the ground, versus getting it elsewhere. LOL.

5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin gets trimmed..and he is so used to it he doesn't flinch. Much easier than clipping toe nails, let me tell you!

tesslynn likes this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Always keep Logan trimmed down there! He is such a tolerant soul... let's me trim with no issues at all!

7. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Bailey always got what the groomer called a sanitary clean-up after his bath and nails cleaning up the private areas.

She does something gender appropriate for our girls too.

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yep, that is what my groomer calls it as well...

'A sanitary cut'...
    for both boys and girls!

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    What a great idea, I find I have to trim his butt fur...I seriously question Piper's intelligence sometimes when he has a poop and a full 'log' (for lack of a better term) doesn't drop off and he proceeds to sit on it. Of course even with his butt trimmed this will still get him a full butt wash but I never thought of trimming that bit of fur on his belly (I wash him off when he gets his weekly full brushing and it's quite messy. Gonna give him a little trim

Chris likes this.
  10. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    I noticed that Zulu had stains in the area. Thinking he may have an infection, I took him to the vet. Vet takes a look, says "I'll be right back", comes back in the room and shows me a nicely trimmed area. Boy did I feel silly!