Pee pad training AND outdoor training - ??

trufflove

Forums Regular
Hi everyone,

First, I know pee pads are look down upon in many different threads and opinion websites - I myself was also against them. However, recently, we've had an issue with bringing him outside - we live in an apartment on the 4th floor. We used to take him out to the car garage, which he got used to very quickly, but was actually criticized by the apartments for bringing him out. We began bringing him to the first floor, outside, in the grass, which is our preferred area, but sometimes it's just too much of a walk for a 12 week old puppy.

We set up a play pen around the same time for him, so he can run around, rather than being confined to a crate, or being watched like a hawk from me and my boyfriend. Because of this, we put a pee pad in there just in case there are accidents.

I completely realize a puppy will not understand "hey, go on the pee pad in the house, but aim for the grass outside!", but can someone give me some advice about this? I know the older he gets, he will be able to hold it in more - currently, we are documenting EVERYTHING: when he goes, when he eats, what he's doing before he goes, etc etc, and we're looking for a trend, or a decrease in the amount he goes.

At night, he is still crated so he can be crate trained for when we can't be in the room.

Thank you!
 
pee pads

I don't use pee pads, but I do have an indoor puppy potty.
I started using it when he was a puppy and I had him in my kitchen all day and he couldn't hold it. Now, it stays in the corner of my bathroom.
he will NOT use it if I am in the house. He seems to know it's for when I'm not home. He does use it if I am gone; it seems during hot weather he drinks more and needs to relieve himself during the day when I'm at work.

He will wake me up from a dead sleep to go outside, and spend 30 minutes doing it. Sometimes I wish he would use the damn thing and let me sleep!

Not sure if this helps, but pee pads will not necessarily doom your potty training. Gavin also trained pretty quickly.
 
I have some friends at work that live in an upstairs apartment and they sometimes HAVE to use some kind of a dog potty for indoors. Not sure exactly what they use, but if I see them tomorrow I will ask for you.

I used pee pads when Fluffy first came home. Smudge has issues with the door (he LOVES to "go outside", and he spins like a top if you say the words "door", "out', or "outside"). He made training Fluffy hard, because everytime she would go to the door he thought he should get to out, too. She got nervous/excited and would go all over the floor before Smudge could get out of her way. So I used the pee pads until she was old enough to hold it a little better. She's completely house trained now, and I don't have to use them anymore.
 
I wouldnt worry, I used pee pads - and still keep one in the garage if I sleep in. I dont think it is that confusing for them, in the house they go on the pad and outside they go on the grass. Esp if you take him outside to pee when you think he needs to go. If he seems confused about the pee pads take one outside with you and put it on the grass.

One good way to teach him to pee on grass is let him see other dogs do it. Its amazing how quickly they pick things up from other dogs.

I found the pads were getting a bit expensive (my female could not hold on until she was about 2yrs old). I made a pup toilet using a plastic container lid, putting some clumping cat litter in it and a piece of artificial turf over the top (I had to cut extra holes in the turf for the piddle to get through). Cheap toilet and easy to clean with the clumping cat litter. I had 2 pieces of turf so I could wash one (leaving it out in rain).
 
How about this idea...carry the puppy down to the grass, since he is so young and can't hold it. It will re-inforce the idea that he does his business OUTSIDE. When he is inside and you are not holding or playing or cuddling with him, confine him to an area with linoleum...the kitchen, and put down paper in a corner he can use. You can not blur the lines of what is acceptable today, as a puppy and change it tomorrow, as an adult dog. The goal is to get him to adulthood, and along the way, he learns the lessons of how he fits into the family and what is acceptable behavior.
I have raised at least one sheltie puppy a year for many years, and they all understand quickly what is acceptable behavior and what is not. I conform them to the workings of the household early, and they all rise to the challange.
 
My puppy is 11 weeks old. She does not pee inside at all anymore with the exception of overnight. I take her outside as often as I can. Sometimes it's a couple of hours in between, but if we play it's right after we play, eat, etc.

At night she is in my office in a pen and I leave her a puppy pad. She uses it to pee but she can hold #2 until 5 a.m. when I get up. Be consistent and your pup will get it. It only took us a few days before Maggie had the rules down, then again we have the other two dogs and she does everything they do!
 
How about this idea...carry the puppy down to the grass, since he is so young and can't hold it. It will re-inforce the idea that he does his business OUTSIDE. When he is inside and you are not holding or playing or cuddling with him, confine him to an area with linoleum...the kitchen, and put down paper in a corner he can use. You can not blur the lines of what is acceptable today, as a puppy and change it tomorrow, as an adult dog. The goal is to get him to adulthood, and along the way, he learns the lessons of how he fits into the family and what is acceptable behavior.
I have raised at least one sheltie puppy a year for many years, and they all understand quickly what is acceptable behavior and what is not. I conform them to the workings of the household early, and they all rise to the challange.

This is my belief also. I've crate and potty trained 3 puppies this way.
 
Back
Top