Pico is exhausting!

yeah, i got it because when i was at my moms for 3 months when she was sick I was wearing mostly shoes without support (no issues then). when i got back to CA it was all support all the time :(
things are slowly improving....lots of stretches and excercises.

I have put him to bed and I am finishing up some stuff, hiding away in my bedroom. only way I can get some me time!
 
Just a thought My wife has that and uses a copper fit support that she puts on under her socks. She says that it helps. She got it off Amazon relatively reasonable.
 
I always say it’s a good thing Sheltie puppies are so darn cute because they’re so much work! We forget this when we plan to get one, which is probably a good thing!

You’re doing all the right things and Sharon has great suggestions. I’d just add that I found one of the most important things is to enforce nap times, even if it means in the crate or pen. Puppies are like toddlers when they’re overtired…hyper and impossible. Even if they object, make it a point to nap him morning and afternoon. Tire him out first with play to make it easier. It will help!
 
I am glad I am not alone in feeling like this. All I can think is I walked Gavin earlier and so he was more tired, or my cat played with him more than I thought, cause this is ridiculous!
I am lucky me neighbors upstairs don't mind the barking (at night they are 2 floors up so they don't hear anything thankfully).

Pico is 2 weeks past his second shots...so I think I can start walking him. He is 14.5 weeks old, so 10-15 minutes at a time? That basically is just around the block. His last shots are at 16.5 weeks (in 2 weeks).
Ian is SUPER high energy but Spitfire loves to torment him so that helps. He is also a spinner, no I did not teach him but he spins a bunch.

He does think UPS should drop Davy off for a few days though.... and Pico w/Ms Blueberry.
 
I always say it’s a good thing Sheltie puppies are so darn cute because they’re so much work! We forget this when we plan to get one, which is probably a good thing!

You’re doing all the right things and Sharon has great suggestions. I’d just add that I found one of the most important things is to enforce nap times, even if it means in the crate or pen. Puppies are like toddlers when they’re overtired…hyper and impossible. Even if they object, make it a point to nap him morning and afternoon. Tire him out first with play to make it easier. It will help!

So he naps when I am at work. on weekends, he naps where he falls...at my feet! If I move, boom! he's up. I was hoping to shower during a nap, but as soon as I see him nodding off and try to move him to a quiet spot, he is up and wants to play .So its kinda hard to get anything done.
I've tried forced crate naps, but the only way those work is if I leave the condo or I stay in my bedroom out of sight.
with neighbors I share walls with, I can't really outwait him on the barking that much :(

I can't imagine I would forget this with Gavin. I do remember that I didn't play with him all that much because he was mouthy as a young pup. Just lots of walks. I was never home, we got the puplight and walked at night even when it was dark. But that wouldn't have been until he was older. And the peeing every 30 minutes was definitely NOT a thing. With Gavin I remember more diarrhea issues as a puppy to be honest.
 
With Blueberry I followed the Monks of New Skete (with all of them really)…I couldn’t start the housebreaking for 2 weeks because the weather was so cold and she was already trained to pee and poop on puppy pads soooo….
I gave her freedom of movement and she became so bossy at 11 weeks I knew I had to put a stop to it (of course she’s still bossy lol)…it was just all fun and games of playing with the other two (and no rest for them) with no rules. She was already crated at night (all my dogs have slept through the night) but I started crating her during the day (I had a pen upstairs and another one in the kitchen) and taking her out to play and to go out to pee but it was very regulated. It helped too when I went back to work and she was now used to being in her pen. It also helped that my brother in law came by to take her out and play with him followed by me coming here to take her out. She absolutely loves my brother in law now and all men…it’s quite funny to see her react to a guy because some Sheltie’s are afraid of men but not her!
Keep in mind there are no ‘right’ ways of raising a puppy but if you want some insight I wouldn’t hesitate to read The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete. It helped me with all my dogs, I had to reread it with all my dogs because I forgot things in between puppies!
Also Amazon does have it on their Kindle version (and you don’t need to have a kindle, just the app).
 
So I need to use 2 wobble board type feeders to get enough time to take a shower. I fill half with cheerios as they are bigger and lighter (they take longer to come out). I want to get something harder so I have more time, but the some of the harder ones I think he would just dump over and that kinda defeats the purpose.

I did figure out that If I am 'fake sleeping' on the couch, Pico will play on his own for a bit. I have to be laying down with my head on the pillow and feet up. Of course, I can't actually move but I can keep an eye on him!
 
Back
Top