Pig's Ear

Lahree

Forums Enthusiast
Hey, I got Ellie some pig's ears at our local feed store that are dried or something? They are hard anyway. She loves them dearly and chews and chews on them and makes them soft and tries very hard to tears off a chunk. I am watching her very closely when she chews them and I actually take them from her when she makes a soft patch and then I scissor it off so she doesn't swallow it. However, she did beat me to the punch a few minutes ago and she pulled off a tiny strip and swallowed it. Is that harmful?? :( :eek2:
 
I don't think so. I used to give Pig's ears to Timber. I only avoided ones that were overly smoked and flavoured (too much salt???) .....they sometimes gave him the runs.

For pure chew, I tend to lean now towards basic rawhide, for Indy and Bacca
 
Kia loves them ! So did Jewel, my sheltie Angel and Tasha my mixed breed who is now with Jewel.:sadsmile: I only buy them every now and then so she doesn't tire of them. Anything like that you should always watch them while they chew until you are certain they can handle it. They have no effect on Kia nor did they on any of my dogs.:wink2:
 
Sometimes I feed them to my dogs as treats. I've never had a problem with them, and they devour them (completely.)
 
Romeo loooooves pig ears! We make our own with a dehydrator (cleaning pig ear gunk is so much fun :dead:). I cut them into strips and dry them then use them to stuff into hole-y toys for Romeo to work to get out. Then he happily chews and eats the whole thing (just the ear, not the toy!) up.
 
Yes - Caliber also loves them. They are few and far between tho. I think he thinks they're a royalty or something...he must cause he really doesn't get them often. But he too devours them. I always make sure to watch him tho, as Shelties are known to be gobblers. I actually feel more comfortable with him chewing them when they are soft...at least if he swallows it there is no sharp edges to it...and the contents in his tummy are sure to help soggy it up!
 
All of our dogs (shelties, dachshunds and border collie/golden retriever cross) adore pig ears. A couple of them devour the whole thing in one sitting and others work on them for ages. Aonghus has one that he has been working on for nearly 2 months!
 
Back
Top