Pin Brush v.s. Slicker Brush

Eagle

Forums Enthusiast
I have both a pin brush and a slicker, but I find myself using mostly the pin brush. When is it best to use which type of brush?

Thanks
 
With my childhood Sheltie, Abigail, I always used a slicker. I didn't even know a pin brush existed. It was fine with her coat. But then again I was like 12. It was my job to groom the dog (my aunt, who was the breeder, taught me what to do) but I'm not sure how well I really did. Abigail had a nice coat, but it was never as thick and fluffy as Buffy's.

I initially bought a slicker with my current dog, Buffy. She did NOT like it as a puppy and squealed whenever it touched her skin. When I tried it against my arm it left scratches. So after some research here at the forums I bought a Chris Christiansen pin brush, which worked great and she liked it much better. (She is great about being groomed now.) I now have a Madan pink brush, which is also great and a bit cheaper.

I feel like the pin brush gets further down into the undercoat and is less painful for the dog if the pins are polished. Buffy has such a fluffy coat I don't know that a slicker would cut it. I use the pin brush pretty much every day or every other day. Investing in a good one is worth it, I think. It's really the only brush I use regularly and it can be used for line brushing. I gave the slicker to a shelter.
 
I have 4 basic tools
- comb
- slicker
- rake
-pin (35 mm and 20 mm, I think)

The number one rule....never groom your dog dry. Always mist with water and/or conditioner (personally I am starting to swear off products because they seem to create build up, but I'm still on the fence here).

I usually start with the slicker and alternate after with comb and rake. And finish with the pin brush. I really like my 35 mm pin brush

One thing I will say is that not all brushes are made equal. It will take some time for your to find the right slicker and pin for your dog

There are other threads already on these brushes, so I won't go into it again here.
 
I use a pin-style brush (it's actually a human brush so has softer pins) for every day brushing and the slicker if I want to really get out some undercoat. I also have a hard boar bristle brush if I want them to look shiny and pretty without much work.
 
Back
Top