Poop Chute Revisited for Dimensions

new member, new sheltie with poop problem- I was horrified!


These posts were so funny I laughed untill I cried!! :lol: I was horrified to discover yesterday a.m., when my 6 months old sheltie, "Sandstorm", lifted her tail and exposed all the dried on clumps of poop!!! :no:
I got some of it out yesterday, and this a.m. got the worst out using warm water and de-tangling spray. I am new to shelties, this is our first one. We adore him, and researched untill we found the best breeder (from N.H.) to contact. We have had our baby for 5 weeks now. My husband and I have been thinking that the grooming part will be easy- bought the pin brush and detangling spray, but didn't really need to use it much. I guess we have to use it allot on Sandstorms "pants" !!!:lol:
Any helpful pants hints would be great.
Karen Curtis
 
The first time I read thru "dingleberries" our Trapp was not home yet.But I was on here reading every day.I have to say it is one thread you don't want to miss.

I laughed till I cried,and I could not catch my breath.My hubby thought I had lost it.

but you really have not experianced it until they are right in front of you (dingleberries)then you know the full scope & meaning of how to take care the poop shute~ I'm laughing so,I'm sorry...:rolleyes2:

If it's very bad,maybe a short tub bath just to get thigs softened up so you can wash it out.They usually are uncomfortable.I know Trapp is,as he will let me know if something is amiss back there~
Good Luck~
 
Bentley has a poop chute, but still sometimes gets a little clinger hanging on by a thread. I've discovered that the best thing to do is to make him run really fast! If you try to pull it out with a paper towel, sometimes it smudges in the fur and gets worse.

We get him to run really fast with us, and 9 times out of 10, it falls right out!
 
Bentley has a poop chute, but still sometimes gets a little clinger hanging on by a thread. I've discovered that the best thing to do is to make him run really fast! If you try to pull it out with a paper towel, sometimes it smudges in the fur and gets worse.

We get him to run really fast with us, and 9 times out of 10, it falls right out!

Hey maybe thats why I have it had much of a problem with Justice and Diva. They always run MACH 3 around the yard after doing their buiness. Ember is not into such activity.:winkgrin:
 
a poop chute is similar to a chimney chute ,, ya gotta check it often and keep it clean or you will develop problems!! ya dont want either chute getting backed up!!
 
I do a chute the width of the tail so the tail sits nicely. I cut in a kind of v shape - with more cut off in the centre and less thinned out at the sides, plus I cut it very short around the anus. I also trim the bottom of their pants, because I find when its too long the ends of their pants may trail in the poop (or even in the dirt) when they are squatting.

I tend to just snip off any dry bits or give it a brush and it all comes out. But brushing the stray bits of poop out its easier to use a normal brush rather than a pin or slicker brush (or the back of the pin brush if it has bristles).
 
I'd rather clip than pull.

DITTO!

Lady is little so she only needs an inch wide, its the depth of the coat to get it down also, so the tootsie rolls don't hang. If the sheltie is larger the wider the cut. She has a coarse coat, and its thick. My boy has a nice silky coat and has never had this problem.

Its a process of elimination, how far do I go. I know with Lady it works just by cutting one inch wide straight down, but also cutting the depth of the coat around that area.

Ya think we have poop problems? I have to wipe the pee off of her belly.
 
DITTO!

Ya think we have poop problems? I have to wipe the pee off of her belly.

Yes, well Deska's favourite trim is the wee trim. I completely cut the hair around that area, less likely to get stinky. Plus I get sick of all the strange dogs that come up to lick him in that area, its better when the hair is clipped back.

Do you completely clip the area with normal scissors or use thinning scissors? I only clip the area around the hole (and only on D), the rest of the pants I use thinning scissors on because I'm too worried about hacking too much away with normal scissors.
 
DITTO!

Lady is little so she only needs an inch wide, its the depth of the coat to get it down also, so the tootsie rolls don't hang. If the sheltie is larger the wider the cut. She has a coarse coat, and its thick. My boy has a nice silky coat and has never had this problem.

Its a process of elimination, how far do I go. I know with Lady it works just by cutting one inch wide straight down, but also cutting the depth of the coat around that area.

Ya think we have poop problems? I have to wipe the pee off of her belly.

How does she manage to get pee on her belly?

As for the poop chut, I tend to aim for just under the width of the tail....just enough for it to lie properly. I must admit, though that I don't do it often. I usually leave it the groomer, because I don't have a grooming arm. As soon as I try to lift a tail, the tail muscles seem to become bionic, and clamp firmly to the butt. I need about 6 hands to hold pup down, lift tail and do the trim.
 
As soon as I try to lift a tail, the tail muscles seem to become bionic, and clamp firmly to the butt. I need about 6 hands to hold pup down, lift tail and do the trim.

LMAO My Angel was like that.... my mom had to hold her in place .. my brother had to lift her tail (good thing he lifts weights) It was like lifting a steel beam.. she didnt want her poop chute touched !!!! After it was all cleaned you could tell she felt a whole lot better but boy did she hate it!! I put the surgical mask on ...the plastic gloves and had to get in there and grind all the poo away!! sparks flying... dogs crying lol :cool:
We only did that once .... after that we left it up to the vet tech or groomer.
 
Back
Top