Pooping in Crate = poorly tummy

Gracesmum

Forums Enthusiast
Hi there, hope someone can help me.

Grace is now 24 weeks old and coming along just fine. Except on Monday this week mummy made a huge mistake and now I and Grace are paying for it.

Grace is on Wainwrights trays with a mix of Royal Canin kibble. She has been crate trained from the second day we got her (yeah the first day was a nightmare, crate bought the day after, lol.)

She is generally clean and dry and will ask for a wee or poo during the day and has been going through the night for a good few weeks.

On Monday I bought Wainwrights pouches by mistake instead of the tray...still learning here. I realised my mistake but thought the same brand would have not caused her any problems and went ahead and fed her two pouches on Monday.

Tuesday morning woke to a pooey phooey messy cage. Cage was cleaned and she had a dodgy tummy for the rest of the day. I realised the mistake of changing the consistancy of her food and exchanged it at the pet shop. Bought home trays and fed her this for the rest of the day.

Wednesday morning woke to a clean cage but she still had a bit of a dodgy tummy. She was eating fine and drinking well.

This morning woke again to a pooey messy cage. Firmer but not back to normal completely. She had a dodgy tummy this morning but hasn't eaten all day and not pooped since.

I'm now worried that this may not be a food problem and more of a bug problem. Should I take her to see a vet? Or would the short change in food take a while to settle down. Also I'm worried that if she realises she can soil her cage, will she carry on doing it? She has been so good up until now and I don't want to spoil that.

She is really happy and bouncy in herself. Playing, talking, sleeping okay.

Thank you for any help. :)
 
Hi there, hope someone can help me.

Grace is now 24 weeks old and coming along just fine. Except on Monday this week mummy made a huge mistake and now I and Grace are paying for it.

Grace is on Wainwrights trays with a mix of Royal Canin kibble. She has been crate trained from the second day we got her (yeah the first day was a nightmare, crate bought the day after, lol.)

She is generally clean and dry and will ask for a wee or poo during the day and has been going through the night for a good few weeks.

On Monday I bought Wainwrights pouches by mistake instead of the tray...still learning here. I realised my mistake but thought the same brand would have not caused her any problems and went ahead and fed her two pouches on Monday.

Tuesday morning woke to a pooey phooey messy cage. Cage was cleaned and she had a dodgy tummy for the rest of the day. I realised the mistake of changing the consistancy of her food and exchanged it at the pet shop. Bought home trays and fed her this for the rest of the day.

Wednesday morning woke to a clean cage but she still had a bit of a dodgy tummy. She was eating fine and drinking well.

This morning woke again to a pooey messy cage. Firmer but not back to normal completely. She had a dodgy tummy this morning but hasn't eaten all day and not pooped since.

I'm now worried that this may not be a food problem and more of a bug problem. Should I take her to see a vet? Or would the short change in food take a while to settle down. Also I'm worried that if she realises she can soil her cage, will she carry on doing it? She has been so good up until now and I don't want to spoil that.

She is really happy and bouncy in herself. Playing, talking, sleeping okay.

Thank you for any help. :)

I am not familiar with the food you are feeding,so I am just going to offer some advice.
As just this week with our newest member Blake...had poops & 1 episode of vomit. Poops were loose for 3 days. Otherwise he was acting fine.No vomiting till day 3.

So..unless you take the pup to the vet,and at this point,I would do that,to help ease your mind.
Cause a little one having loose poops to long (unless they are really hydrated) I would worry.
And..I am not one to run off to the vet,it takes a pretty good reason to go. (Probably cause with 5 here,ya begin to look at things in a little less of a panic)

BUT..Blake was taken in yesterday,checked out fine for giardia & coccidia. Which was my worry.
But his belly was churning with bacteria. Don't know how,but he was chucked full. I have seen this 2x now with my dogs.
My theory is that Blake ate a good mouthful of dirt outside one night this past week. He had tell tale dirty nasty teeth one night. My thought,as well as our vet,it could have certainly been the culprit.

The other dog decided to eat cat food,drink out of the water bowl of said cat. This happened on vacation in NY.

Both required antibiotics,flagyl.

Now...if you think its just food issues,and you want to wait it out,try some pumpkin. (not pie filling)
 
You need to stop feeding your dog - let him fast for 12 - 24 hours. After that, feed him rice and boiled chicken (very bland) for a few days. Only feed small amounts at a time (I usually just roll up a little ball of food about 4-5 times a day). After 2 - 3 days of this bland diet, slowly introduce the regular food. It usually takes me about a week to get my dogs back on their regular food.
 
I agree 100% with 3Stars. The digestive system needs a rest so a bland diet of cooked rice and boiled chicken is good. I also try to get a little of the rice water just before it is completely soaked up and give that. My doctor taught me that for my human babies and it works great for the dogs. Another thing I will do is go to the chemists (drug store) and get Lacto Bascillus capsules. Break one open, add about 1/2 of it to a little plain yogurt or slightly warmed milk, about 1 tablespoon of either, and add that to the diet twice a day for 24 - 48 hours. It won't stop diareahha if it is viral or bacterial, only if it is inappropriate eating or stress related.
 
Thank for the replies here. I did stop the wet food and left her on kibble yesterday, and things have improved further but still not back to normal. At least she is going through the night okay again.

I will take your advice and not feed her until this evening and then just give her boiled chicken and rice. I will do that for 24 hours and if she is no better after that I'll take her to the vet.

Thank you for your help, it's reassuring to know there it is such a wealth of knowledge here.
 
Back
Top