Pro biotics

Have you had him tested for hyptothyroidism? These sound like classic symptoms to me.

My Bacca was a diagnosed at only about 1.5 years old. Normally it manifests itself much later. We were fortunate that we caught it early.

Like your pup, Bacca suddenly stopped playing. We would go for walks and he would drag his feet. Sometimes I would need to shout at him to get his attention as if he was deaf (nope....just in la-la land)

Even on meds, he is still not 100% and sometimes his meds don't work at all and he lapses.

Right now, he's in a good space. I just got his bloodwork retested today. Will find out in a few days if he is still clear.

Seriously, do talk to your vet and ask for a complete Thyroid 5 panel (T3, T4, Free T4, TSH, TgAA)

Hugs and good luck! If it is, its manageable, though they will never be 100% the same. But with proper management, they can still have a good quality of life.
 
I have been Barb, I actually left my vet of 11 years because he refused to put him on thyroid meds and he was so low. The first thing my new vet said was that Shelties thyroid runs higher and we began, I even talked with jean dodds. For awhile he was better, but even then he was slow just seemed lighter in his feet. He is due to be tested again. Time for food change too. He has lost some weight with this Purina OM but it is not grain free so he had an odor again! This one the. Nutritional ist recommended! I really think they all guess! I am better off reading like I have since we rescued Max and this forum are better then all the vets. I wanted to mix raw in with his kibble and the internist was dead set against it. I think Max needs more protein, and less carbs to sustain him. He's on a form of cortisone and is always hungry.
Oh I am sorry I am rambling again! So sorry.
 
I have been Barb, I actually left my vet of 11 years because he refused to put him on thyroid meds and he was so low. The first thing my new vet said was that Shelties thyroid runs higher and we began, I even talked with jean dodds. For awhile he was better, but even then he was slow just seemed lighter in his feet. He is due to be tested again. Time for food change too. He has lost some weight with this Purina OM but it is not grain free so he had an odor again! This one the. Nutritional ist recommended! I really think they all guess! I am better off reading like I have since we rescued Max and this forum are better then all the vets. I wanted to mix raw in with his kibble and the internist was dead set against it. I think Max needs more protein, and less carbs to sustain him. He's on a form of cortisone and is always hungry.
Oh I am sorry I am rambling again! So sorry.

First off, I'm sorry for your troubles.

I don't think you should be mixing raw and kibble together either. If you think about it thyroid functioning is dependent upon the correct amount of GLUCOSE produced so if you have the carbohydrates and protein from the kibble turning to glucose, and then additional protein you've added, turning into glucose, it's going to be way too much glucose and too much glucose can cause just as many problems as not enough glucose.

Since it has been established that glucose can be produced from fat and protein, then it would again seem that carbohydrates are actually unnecessary provided that there is enough protein and fat to go around. So if you want to feed a raw diet, feed just a raw diet. If you want to feed kibble, feed one that is high quality and has a lot of protein from meat sources in it since our carnivores break them down better and use animal protein considerably easier than they do plant protein.

I'e had several rescues in and out and raised personal dogs and they've all eaten a raw diet that consists mostly of whole prey and they've all thrived. My current dog was born at home and is now a senior and never once eaten a carb. Her teeth have never needed to be clean and she has all of them still pearly white.

You could always try raw out for a couple months if you're curious to weigh the difference. how much is your budget per month and how much does he weigh?
 
I have been Barb, I actually left my vet of 11 years because he refused to put him on thyroid meds and he was so low. The first thing my new vet said was that Shelties thyroid runs higher and we began, I even talked with jean dodds. For awhile he was better, but even then he was slow just seemed lighter in his feet. He is due to be tested again. Time for food change too. He has lost some weight with this Purina OM but it is not grain free so he had an odor again! This one the. Nutritional ist recommended! I really think they all guess! I am better off reading like I have since we rescued Max and this forum are better then all the vets. I wanted to mix raw in with his kibble and the internist was dead set against it. I think Max needs more protein, and less carbs to sustain him. He's on a form of cortisone and is always hungry.
Oh I am sorry I am rambling again! So sorry.

It takes a while for the meds to stabilize and to get the right levels.

I also learned that Bacca can NEVER miss a dose! For awhile this summer, he was fussy about taking his meds so sometimes I skipped it. Big mistake! He just got worse and even fussier about taking his meds.

The last few weeks, he's back on his meds properly and suddenly his energy is back (well, for him....though would not compare to a normal Sheltie) and his skin funk seems to be improving as well.

Keep sticking it out. For the first while, Bacca had to be tested every few months. Now we are down to once per year. He had his big blookwork on Monday. Crossing my fingers and paws!

As for diet, I do recommend a grain-free diet if you are unable to do raw consistently. Hypo dogs are subject to all kinds of other secondary issues. The more you can eliminate the better.
 
Thanks everyone for your help. Of course the brand I chose today is having production problems so no one in my area has it. Not even a lot of the on line stores. I did order it today and hopefully will have it Friday. I went to acana Pacifica because max loved when he was on a fish based food and thought it would be best for his issues. Any thoughts? :)
 
Thanks everyone for your help. Of course the brand I chose today is having production problems so no one in my area has it. Not even a lot of the on line stores. I did order it today and hopefully will have it Friday. I went to acana Pacifica because max loved when he was on a fish based food and thought it would be best for his issues. Any thoughts? :)

we've been cycling through several fish formulas- Acana, Pinnacle, Orijen, Nutrisca, Earthborn Holistics and eventually we'll go back through with the other proteins......
 
Thanks everyone for your help. Of course the brand I chose today is having prI went to acana Pacifica because max loved when he was on a fish based food and thought it would be best for his issues. Any thoughts? :)

If he likes fishy dog foods he'll LOVE Pacifica. :smile2:

Acana is a great food.
 
Poor Max... hopefully you guys will get this figured out for him.

Just wanted to pipe up with my approval of Acana Pacifica. It's a great food. We liked it so much, we put our cats on the feline Pacifica formula, too, because our super-picky kitty, Majo, actually tried to crawl into Lerwick's bag of Pacifica the first time we brought it home. After that, she simply refused to eat the kibble we'd picked out for her (this was when we switched away from TOTW).

Lerwick is really thriving on Acana Pacifica, and our vet was very pleased when we told her what we were feeding him. She prefers fish-based kibble because it tends to be less likely to set off food sensitivities (and of course is also great for their coat). We are running out of our supply though, and I'm not sure if we'll be able to get some more right now, due to the supply problem, so we may be making a temporary switch!
 
Sorry be away, busy time of year a lot going on! Max is doing great on the acana, but can't get it so I was talking to a very k owledgeable person at the dog boutique and she said if max isn't active all that protein will turn into glucose and then fat. Her dog gained weight omit, ergo now he is on taste of the wild! He has to go I. For his three month blood test and I'm hoping there better. I have him walking faster now when we toto the board walk and he is more consistent in his walking which is great. I really think he is doing better on more protein. I know my vet will be upset, so I haven't decided if I will fight with him or just lie and tell him he's still on the food he gave!!! But I can really see a difference in Max, I am so happy. I just hope to get his thyroid stable! Thanks everyone for all your help and I would like to know your thoughts on Taste of the Wild!
 
Back
Top