Proud moments.....and lessons learned

Congrats...gosh you had an awesome weekend.I was wondering how your day was going.your picture is great,and I'm so glad every thing went well.

No doubt your bout with reflux may have been caused by your nerves.I know it was playing heavily on your mind last week.
Although I don't know much about agility,it was really impressive on how Koji did.
 
I forgot to tell everyone. At about 12pm. I was feeling sick. Acid reflux or something. I thought for sure it was acid reflux, but now, I'm not so sure. I think I'm super nervous before I get there. Then I get there, have things to do, finally settle down and need to watch watch watch. Kinda obsessively. Then I finally settle down and relax. When our group is coming up, I start to get nervous, then I take Koji for a walk, a few jumps, to get us connected again, if you will. It seems to calm me down, to have something to do. Before our run, I'm working with him. To pay attention to me, listen to me, etc. So I"m not thinking too hard. Then next thing you know, I'm at the line then BAM. I'm off. Then I'm done. LOL. Nervousness is all gone.

But on Sunday, I felt fine. Until I started to walk the course. So, is it nerves, or just acid reflux?

I'm guessing nerves. When I show in obedience, I've been known to stand on the other side of the ring from where me dog is crated. I make them nervous especially Ember. Justice just wants to comfort me. I keep busy walking around, talking to people. Anything so I don't think about it. If I think about it too much I get the same acid reflux. Like you when I done, I perfectly fine. Fortunately it doesn't happen as much anymore. But when I show Ember in agility for the first time I'm sure I'll feel it.:smile2: I held off enter her because I've been so nervous. So good for you for entering.
 
They'll be showing up slowly. I'm not big on YouTube, so I use Vimeo, and although it uploads fast, you have to wait for it to be published.

So here's the video from Koji's second round of standard. Check out his so very painfully slow dog walk. It's quite hilarious!
Saturday, Standard Rd 2

I won't bore you with the others. Feel free to watch them if you want, they're up (I think). I have to get my awesome Jumpers from our friends who taped it. I forgot, hubby was loading up the truck when we did Jumpers.

The ones from this weekend are labeled NADAC 1/30 or 1/31.
 
Well done! Heck I'd be posting all my trials too if my clowns were doing as well! Two days must be exhausting, we dont get trials that long here, most of them are 4 hours in the evening and we are always last on. I dont even do the 2 day flyball comps (and I dont run at flyball) because they are just too exhausting. I dont have a height card either. At flyball I have to wait a year of comps before I can even apply - so that means arriving at comps at 7.30am (yawn). At agility they just take one look at my dogs and go - yep, 300 and 400mm (I think thats 12" and 16").

Looking forward to the video. And well done with the Q!
 
I think he looked good. Needs work on contacts, but that will come. Most importantly he looks like he is really enjoying himself, and that is so important. I know, our instructor is always harping on me to 'relax' and 'just have fun'! I haven't even trialed yet! Thanks for posting them for us to see and enjoy.
 
I know, our instructor is always harping on me to 'relax' and 'just have fun'! I haven't even trialed yet!

I know! I so try to have fun with it. It helps that my "friend" aka co-agility person that I train with and sit with at competitions takes it WAY more seriously than I do. She's very hard on herself and the dog. I mean, her dog ran clean, but all she focused on was how he barked at the photographer and a bird. He still got 3rd place! lol.

My point. I laugh at Koji's antics. Can't do anything else. I laugh at myself. I try so hard to have fun. I get nervous, but I don't get upset. I wish he'd do better, but that's just training, nothing more. She makes me look so relaxed, so it actually relaxes me. LOL.

Find one of those to be an agility friend. They'll make you feel so calm. Assuming you don't feed off of them.
 
I don't have any experience in ANY of this, but it sounded like you have a wonderful weeked and that you all learned a lot. It so nice to hear that there were others willing to offer some advice and assistence, and you should be proud of accomplishments that YOU have made with Koji and of his performance. It looks like extremely hard work and I can only imagine the time you have invested in this with him. I think you both did really well. :yes:

Keep it up and I know you and Koji will be ready for AKC before you know it. Oh ... and I think you had a little stage fright that manifested itself as acid reflux. Happens to everyone and I can honestly say that personally, after performing live for 30 years, I still get it. But you will learn to manage it in time. Imagining everyone being naked is still one of the best ways to let it all go.

Can't wait to see what's next for both of you in the future. :smile2:
 
I really enjoyed your videos. He did look good except for the contacts. Looks like it might just be a confidence issue. I'm looking forward to seeing his jumpers run!

Just curious, what happens if you run while he is on the dog walk? I only ask because I've been told that I need to run and that Bentley will go faster if I do.
 
Mine are both painfully slow on the dog walk too. But as Tully has fallen off (and strained her ligament in one fall) I dont try to push them across it now. You're lucky he doesnt decide he only wants to do contacts - like Deska (who I have not entered into the next 2 trials to save myself the embarrassement).

How does your agility work, it looks a little different to ours. Do you only do 6weaves in agility - does it increase with the level? And how do your DQs work? I usually DQ by either missing one of the weaves or by getting 3 refusals (dogs not taking the obstacle straight after I tell them). I've only managed 2 Qs so far. Personally I think they are a bit tough on the novices!
 
Back
Top