Puppy agility

Simba13

Forums Enthusiast
My new puppy Shoka is 9 weeks old now. I know that obviously we won't be doing any jumping, contacts or weaves until 12 months but I was hoping for some suggestions on what I could be doing with him now. I will be proofing his waits when we get to that stage and also working on forward focus. What else could I work on?

I have heard of using a balance board/cushion. I bought one today for Simba who is having trouble with the seesaw but could I be using this with the puppy too? I will be letting my puppy be a puppy but I don't see any harm in a bit of training everyday :biggrin2:

I only discovered agility when Simba was 7 months old. We took a fantastic foundation class that was 1 evening a week for 5 weeks which included forward focus, start line waits and drive but I'm looking for even more basic things to do like maybe getting Shoka used to the noises and surfaces.
 
Absolutely, yes, the puppy can and should use the balance board.

Something I found extremely helpful with Spirit was teaching a nose touch to a target. We later applied that in her training with contacts, weaves, and jumps. It was the single most useful (besides her start line wait) bit of training we have done.
 
My new puppy Shoka is 9 weeks old now. I know that obviously we won't be doing any jumping, contacts or weaves until 12 months but I was hoping for some suggestions on what I could be doing with him now. I will be proofing his waits when we get to that stage and also working on forward focus. What else could I work on?

I have heard of using a balance board/cushion. I bought one today for Simba who is having trouble with the seesaw but could I be using this with the puppy too? I will be letting my puppy be a puppy but I don't see any harm in a bit of training everyday :biggrin2:

I only discovered agility when Simba was 7 months old. We took a fantastic foundation class that was 1 evening a week for 5 weeks which included forward focus, start line waits and drive but I'm looking for even more basic things to do like maybe getting Shoka used to the noises and surfaces.

I know they aren't supposed to weave until their growth plates close, but in puppy agility here, they have them run straight through the channel weaves open to 15 inches or more (depending on the size of the pup) to get them used to the obstacle. Rear end awareness is a big one to work on from the beginning. I didn't start agility with my dog until she was 2 1/2 and having to go back and train the foundations was a challenge. I don't think she even knew she had rear legs, lol. I wish we'd started sooner. Training everyday sounds like a really good (and fun) idea to me. I'm wondering if training contacts on a flat board would be okay? Also if he's just hanging out while you're training Simba on the teeter would expose him to the sound. I'm so excited for you!
 
Absolutely, yes, the puppy can and should use the balance board.

Something I found extremely helpful with Spirit was teaching a nose touch to a target. We later applied that in her training with contacts, weaves, and jumps. It was the single most useful (besides her start line wait) bit of training we have done.

Great I will get him started on the balance board soon :)

How should I go about teaching a nose touch? I taught Simba to touch my hand but never taught any other target.
 
Great I will get him started on the balance board soon :)

How should I go about teaching a nose touch? I taught Simba to touch my hand but never taught any other target.

First teach the nose touch to your hand, then just hold the target in your hand instead and put the treat behind it. Most dogs will instinctively sniff anything with food around it, and then you can capture it with whatever your marker is (clicker, verbal marker such as "yes"). I've taught several dogs this way and it's super easy for them to figure out. Once he will touch the target in your hand you can start moving your hand closer and closer to the floor, then eventually place the target on the floor (and whenever, he does touch the target on the ground, give the treat on the target, not from your hand). Just reinforces that food appears on the target whenever the dog touches it :-)
 
This is some information from previous posts I've made regarding things you can do for agility without setting a paw on equipment. Hopefully it will be helpful.

As you already know a puppy and puppies should not be doing things like jumping, weaving and full height contact obstacles until their growth plates have closed; about 1 year old for a Sheltie but check with your breeder and/or vet to be certain.

Your puppy will also have a very short attention span so you'll only be able to work with him/her for short periods of time.

Here's a few things based on my experience in starting out:

1 - Obedience requirements: I think a better description here is BEHAVIOR basics rather than obedience because it's easy to confuse what you need for agility with competitive obedience. (Not that more advanced obedience is a bad thing. I had my CGC when I started agility training.) What you should have are basic behaviors - Sit, Stay, Down, and a very good recall. You can start without these in some clubs (like mine for instance) but it is highly recommended and encouraged - especially when you start off leash work. As an agility instructor, the most difficult dogs to work with are the ones with absolutely NO basic behavior/manners training.

2 - Tunnels: A child's play tunnel like the ones described here are perfect for indoors because they are small and short. An actual agility training tunnel would be a bit unruly indoors, especially if you don't have a lot of room.

3 - Teaching where his back legs are: Believe it or not, dogs don't really realize they have rear legs; or more specifically don't usually pay attention to where they are in relation to their front. So, we have to teach them. This skill is necessary for jump but more so for contacts like the dog walk and teeter, which are narrow. There are two different exercises you can do here:

Ladder work: Place an extension ladder on the ground and walk him through it. Do NOT expect him to go through the entire thing the first time through. Start by rewarding him for starting to walk through it, even if he bails after a few steps. Slowly increase what he has to do with the ladder to receive the reward (get halfway across, get all the way across, get half way WITHOUT touching a rung, get all the way WITHOUT touching a rung.)

Walk the plank: Put a plank of wood on the floor roughly 2x4x8. (You can do 2x4x4 if you can find that in the scrap wood or have a hardware store cut a 2x4x8 board in half for you.) Start by rewarding him for putting his feet on it. Increase the requirement for the treat by having him walk across it (all 4 paws don't have to be on at this time). Increase the requirement again by making sure he keeps all 4 paws on the board. Stopping at the end is NOT required for this exercise. If you want to make it a little more difficult, you can put something under the board to raise it off the floor by about 6 inches.

4 - Teach targeting: Get the lid from a margarine container. Hold it in your hand perpendicular to the floor. Reward when he touches his nose to it. (A dab of peanut butter as bait helps when first starting.) As he gets proficient at it, add the word "target" to the action. Next step: place the lid on the floor; reward when he touches it with his nose. (MAKE SURE he's touching it with his nose before you reward. Some dogs, after a little while, will go through the motion but won't actually touch the lid. You DO NOT want to reward that.) Again, add the word Target as he gets proficient at this. Finally, slowly start to move the target away from you and send him to it with a "Target" command from a sit stay. You can bait the target with a treat to get him started but still reward correct behavior even if you bait.

Target training and 2o2o training go hand in hand. We use targets at the end of contact obstacles when training 2o2o because it gives the dog a reason to stop. Even if the target is baited, we still reward the correct 2o2o behavior.

5 - Flatwork - something for when your pup is a few months old: This is one of the foundations for agility; it's what happens between the obstacles. It includes things like 'recall to heel', basic sends, turning skills like front & rear crosses, etc. This is something you can definitely start working on without worrying about the dog's joints. Clean Run, the only magazine on the market for agility that I know of, has a book available called "Flatwork - Foundation for Agility" by by Barb Levenson (http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fu...&ParentCat=261).

6 - Teach 2 On 2 Off: Using the same plank as above... once he can walk across with all 4 paws on the board, start requiring him to stop at the end with 2 paws on the board and 2 on the floor (2 on 2 off or 2o2o). If you want to make this a little more difficult, raise the board off the floor by 6 inches.

7 - Wobble board: This helps the pup learn to get use to movement under their feet and helps prepare them for the Teeter. I've made an "at home" wobble board with a 3x3 piece of plywood and stuck and tennis ball under it. With a pup, you can get a smaller tennis ball at a pet store and start with that and work up to a full size ball. The idea is to have something move under under their feet.
 
Back
Top