Puppy nails

DO Pedipaws work?? Is it worth buying.. My Snickers nails are like razors even after i get them trimmed,,, he gets soo excited to see me he jumps all over me .. (which i dont mind at all) but he cuts me up pretty good.
 
DO Pedipaws work?? Is it worth buying.. My Snickers nails are like razors even after i get them trimmed,,, he gets soo excited to see me he jumps all over me .. (which i dont mind at all) but he cuts me up pretty good.

Well in my opinion no. It's noisey,and it's hard to see the nail.
and if the nails are very long or very thick,it's of no use.Just my opinion.

Maybe since the nails are so long,and to get them where they should be,consult your vet,or possibly a local groomer to get them done.

It takes from in my opinion,from the first few weeks of life on thru those impressionable first months for them to be touched,handled,spreading of the pads..to make a huge differance in how the pup reacts to getting these kinds of jobs done,thru life. It just needs to be a positive time.

What I do,and many will give thier ideas to,but it's a slow process,to get them used to a nail cutter,dremal.Even if you only get one nail done in one givin day,just take your time,use treats,let them get used to the dremal or cutter a little at a time,before you actually use it.

Earnhardt does not have the dremal used on him,mainly because I never thought bout it,until I read it here.We use a heavy duty nail trimmer on him.(lab) very thick nails.He is put in the bath tub,a bit of water is put in to soften the nails..Brian come in with treats & holds the collar,and I cut nails.It's done in no time. Plus he cannot get away very quickly if he's in the tub.

Trapp,we use dremal stylus! amazing little tool~
 
it just seems to got to be true... like all the other infomercial crap ya see on tv.
I get his nails trimmed every vet visit ..just wanted sumthing to round them a lil bit .. they are short enuff but still sharp. Was thinking about just getting sum sand paper lol...... thats all the pedipaw thing is .


He lets me touch his paws open his mouth .. whatever.....he is a good boy when it comes to that kinda stuff.
 
it just seems to got to be true... like all the other infomercial crap ya see on tv.
I get his nails trimmed every vet visit ..just wanted sumthing to round them a lil bit .. they are short enuff but still sharp. Was thinking about just getting sum sand paper lol...... thats all the pedipaw thing is .

Well I had a domestic shorthair cat for 15 years...and ya know when I used a nail file to do my nails,Nick would be in my lap,so I started using the nail file on him. For 15 years,thats how I did his nails.

Our little Bumper,I do her nails while she sleeps,I always have. I use a regular nail clipper (human one) on her.If she wakes up,I just go slow,and talk softly,and she never moves.
So it's worth a try using sandpaper!:yes:
 
it just seems to got to be true... like all the other infomercial crap ya see on tv.
I get his nails trimmed every vet visit ..just wanted sumthing to round them a lil bit .. they are short enuff but still sharp. Was thinking about just getting sum sand paper lol...... thats all the pedipaw thing is .

Well I had a domestic shorthair cat for 15 years...and ya know when I used a nail file to do my nails,Nick would be in my lap,so I started using the nail file on him. For 15 years,thats how I did his nails.

Our little Bumper,I do her nails while she sleeps,I always have. I use a regular nail clipper (human one) on her.If she wakes up,I just go slow,and talk softly,and she never moves.
So it's worth a try using sandpaper!:yes:

Kool I will give it a try ... i think it would work .. especiallly on smaller pups/dogs... i dont think it would be usefull on bigger breeds.
 
DO Pedipaws work?? Is it worth buying.. My Snickers nails are like razors even after i get them trimmed,,, he gets soo excited to see me he jumps all over me .. (which i dont mind at all) but he cuts me up pretty good.

I have a PediPaws. I've never used it, but Jeniffer has one, too. A scared dog will not like it AT ALL, because on top of the noise, it takes forever to grind the nail down - especially if you have a hyper dog.

I want a dremmel for my birthday (it's in July, so it's going to be a while :lol:). Everybody on here seems to like them. It's the same concept as the PediPaws, but everybody says they do a better job of grinding. Cherrybrook sells them. Cherrybrook has anything you could ever want or need for your sheltie!

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cf...Dremel_Battery_Operated_Pet_Nail_Grooming_Kit
 
I have a PediPaws. I've never used it, but Jeniffer has one, too. A scared dog will not like it AT ALL, because on top of the noise, it takes forever to grind the nail down - especially if you have a hyper dog.

I want a dremmel for my birthday (it's in July, so it's going to be a while ). Everybody on here seems to like them. It's the same concept as the PediPaws, but everybody says they do a better job of grinding.

I have a dremmel. Granted, it's a cheap one. It was about $20. I wasn't very happy with it. There's still the issue that it takes forever to grind the nails. When you have a silly puppy who isn't into the process it takes even longer. And it still takes the pups a long time to get used to it. After 7 months, Buffy still didn't love it, although she put up with it for short periods of time.

So I bought a regular clippers. Mine is kind of like a scissors rather than a guillotine. It has a file attached to fix the rough edges and also some syptic powder in case the nail starts bleeding.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751498

With clippers you do have to have some idea what you're doing so that you don't cut the quick. A few tips I got from the clipper package and online: You should do very thin slices when you cut, which is easy if you have a nice sharp clippers. Buffy has half clear nails and half black ones. I used the clear ones as a guide for the black ones; I can see the quick in the clear nails. Also, dogs have a groove on the inside of the nail near the pads. You want to cut a few millimeters above the groove. And if you see any white on the inside of a black nail you should stop cutting before you hit red.

I am still a little nervous about using the clippers instead of a dremmel but it made the process much quicker and easier for us.

If you want to get a dremmel I think it does matter which model you get. I imagine a more powerful one, with a heavier sandpaper, would do the job better. Some people here have posted links to good ones.
 
I have a PediPaws. I've never used it, but Jeniffer has one, too. A scared dog will not like it AT ALL, because on top of the noise, it takes forever to grind the nail down - especially if you have a hyper dog.

I want a dremmel for my birthday (it's in July, so it's going to be a while :lol:). Everybody on here seems to like them. It's the same concept as the PediPaws, but everybody says they do a better job of grinding. Cherrybrook sells them. Cherrybrook has anything you could ever want or need for your sheltie!

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cf...Dremel_Battery_Operated_Pet_Nail_Grooming_Kit

This does look like a much better product.. And Im afraid to use the clippers .. I will end up with a bloody paw or hand lol.
 
I have a Peticure which I'm happy with, although most people seem to prefer the dremmel. After one experience cutting Barkely's nail so close it bled for three days, I will never clip again. Once my dogs got used to the Peticure, I took the guard off which makes it MUCH easier to work with.

Barb has a dremmel that she really likes. It's on a thread here somewhere. I do think once you get them used to these, which just takes time and patience, it's a much better way to go.
 
I have a Peticure which I'm happy with, although most people seem to prefer the dremmel. After one experience cutting Barkely's nail so close it bled for three days, I will never clip again. Once my dogs got used to the Peticure, I took the guard off which makes it MUCH easier to work with.

Barb has a dremmel that she really likes. It's on a thread here somewhere. I do think once you get them used to these, which just takes time and patience, it's a much better way to go.

Im afraid of the bleeding factor. so no cutting for me
 
Back
Top