Puppy Pro Plan??

It's just strikes me as bad knowledge on the parts of these vets that sell and promote these products to patients.

I could rant about that for hours. Exhibit A being vets that carry Science diet. In their defense, however, I took an undergraduate veterinary nutrition course and curled up with Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats. I was practically comatose.

Feeding homemade sounds great, but I'm just not confident that I can do it well. I suspect it may be cheaper in the long run. Oh well. My husband's commented that he'd like to start a frozen fresh dog food company...lol.

I'm not really excited about the high protein foods.

I'm not sure what to think about the protein issue. I wish I had better information to base an opinion on. I'll look for that thread BarbV mentioned. High protein causes problems in horses, but again...they're not carnivores either.
 
We happened to see the vet today and she said it would be ok to change the food to something we're happy with. She explained that it's pretty common for even good breeders to use Pro Plan for their litters due to its availability in larger quantities.

Coincidentally, the clinic sells Blue Buffalo and the ingredient list looked ok. I see also that many on this forum recommend Wellness among others. At least I have alternatives to investigate.

Ginny is on Wellness puppy and doing very well. Just make sure to transition very slowly so that your pup doesn't get loose bowels.

I transitioned Ginny a little too quickly and she had loose stools for a day or two.
 
I'm not sure what to think about the protein issue. I wish I had better information to base an opinion on. I'll look for that thread BarbV mentioned. High protein causes problems in horses, but again...they're not carnivores either.

Here is the thread.....it took some hunting and pecking...there's been alot on the forum about food lately.

In this thread I posted some links that gave some pros and cons to grain-free, high protein. I could have kept going, posting links, but it was just to get things started.

http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=3315&highlight=protein

Bottom line. You need to decide what you are comfortable with. Truly, no dog ever "died" eating Dog Chow (heck, our parents fed it their dogs while we were growing up and most of them lived to long life). But can we do better, you bet. What is better is the question?!

Eyes spinning again!
 
Kamikazi, sorry that this answer is kind of vague, but:

My pup's breeder (who I thought was very good) did not like Purina Pro Plan for puppies. They recently reformulated it in a bad way. She said the adult version is pretty good, but she didn't like something or another about the puppy version, and I think her dogs didn't have a great reaction to it.
 
None of the pro plans are good... not adult or puppy. they all contain wheat, corn, and by products. Shredded blend goes a step further, including soy, which many breeders on the sheltieoldlines list have complained to have caused problems in their dogs.
 
Back
Top