Puppy questions...

What everyone says is great! My puppy Megan wasn't a barker when she was a young puppy either, THEN the teenaged phase began!!!

We still use an x-pen, (or whatever it's called), and Megan is 8 1/2 months old, it's been a lifesaver :yes:
 
Angus is 16 months old and is still terrible about chewing.....we use an xpen with him still as he likes to chew the plugs off of appliances, round the edges of furniture, chew a hole in floor boards, chew holes in wall board....

When in his little pen he satisfies his urges by using the face and head of his stuffed deer toy as a furry pacifier.
 
Smudge is about 13 months and Fluffy is a little over 7 months. They are both crated at night and when nobody else is at home. It will always be this way.

They are both completely housebroken.


Fluffy destroys everything she sees, but Smudge does not (he used to though). I just like crates and knowing where everybody is at. They also eat in their crates. I'll always feed them in their crates, too. This way I don't have to look at somebody's food and wonder if the other dog has been sneaking bites.

I'm just a fan of crates, I guess. :biggrin2:

Everybody is right when they say they aren't cages though. There's a difference between a crate and a cage. Fluffy LOVES her crate.
 
While everything may seem to be in perfect order now, wait for it. The terrible two's are coming, and along with it, the destructive chewing phase. They often revert back.

If pup is happy in the crate, stick with it. If you are feeling guilty, do what I did....put the crate inside an Xpen.

I stuck with crates for my boys well past 1 year. I think I finally freed at around 18 months.

During the day, I still kept them contained to a small part of the house until just about two months ago. (they are now both 26 months old). Now they have full rein.
 
If pup is happy in the crate, stick with it. If you are feeling guilty, do what I did....put the crate inside an Xpen.

I've been wanting to try this for a while. My only concern would be that if you had more than one dog they would stay up all night playing instead of going into their crates to sleep.

Might be worth a try anyway. If that doesn't work out then you would still have the xpen to use for something else.
 
I've been wanting to try this for a while. My only concern would be that if you had more than one dog they would stay up all night playing instead of going into their crates to sleep.

Might be worth a try anyway. If that doesn't work out then you would still have the xpen to use for something else.

I kept Indy and Bacca separate and in different parts of the house. Bacca's crate was a little small, so he got the Xpen. Indy's crate was bigger so he was crated. They just slept until I came home at lunch

Had I the money and room, I would have had a crate and xpen for both. But again, separate parts of the house, so they wouldn't be able to rile each other up.
 
But again, separate parts of the house, so they wouldn't be able to rile each other up.

Cancel that then. :lol: I have to keep them both in my room. It might be something to think about if one of them got sick with something catching though. That way I could move one into the living room for a few nights.
 
Cancel that then. :lol: I have to keep them both in my room. It might be something to think about if one of them got sick with something catching though. That way I could move one into the living room for a few nights.

It really depends on the dogs. I just found my dogs chilled better if in different rooms. But maybe that's not really a problem for you.
 
Back
Top