Puppy Won't Eat Breakfast

Thanks you for all your responses! It's very reassuring to know that Bailey isn't the only one that doesn't eat or partially eats her breakfast. She is very playful, eats all her treats and dinner. So, I'll think she'll be okay. I just read that it's better for a dog to eat twice a day than once a day, so I'm trying to have her eat two meals, but if she only wants one, there's not much I can do.


Maybe I'm misremembering (is that really a word?), but aren't you planning to move in with a roommate soon? When you do, you might want to try free-feeding Bailey, since she doesn't seem to be a glutton like some of our pups. I know that isn't a possibility now, living your parents' Chi, but could be something to think about trying in the future.

As long as she's a healthy weight, I wouldn't worry much about breakfast. :smile2:

Yes, you are correct, I am moving to my own place in a few months. Bailey will be the only dog. My only problem with free feeding is it will be harder to predict when she has to poo. Right now she is on a schedule. She poops first thing in the morning, after dinner and then before bed.
 
I free-fed Timber. By the time he was a year old, it didn't seem to have any impact on his poo schedule as he was fully trained at that point.

He simply went whenever he was let outside and when he felt like it.
 
Bailey ate all her breakfast this morning! Woo hooo! Her obedience class trainer said not to feed her dinner, the day of class. So, I didn't giver her dinner last night. I guess this confirms that she doesn't eat breakfast because she's still full from dinner. On a side note, she had loose poops this morning. :( It's my fault. I was using turkey hot dogs as a treat in class. She never had it before, so her stomach probably needed to adjust to it. I should've transitioned her throughout the week. I gave her some frozen pumpkin in a kong this morning. I'll give her another one this afternoon. Hopefully that does the trick.
 
Maybe Bailey is allergic to all poultry?

I give her a piece or two of sliced cold cut turkey every morning as a treat and she's fine with that.

I just never gave her a turkey hot dog before. The obedience class told us to bring people food as a treat and cut it up. She got a lot of treats in class, so maybe it was too much.
 
Back
Top