Putting Weight On

I really don't think that calories of any sort are going to be "pooped out" unless the dog has a digestive issue. Smaller dogs generally have higher metabolisms, and if they're not gaining weight with the extra calories, they probably weren't getting enough to begin with. But if the weight is stable with what you're feeding, and the dog is healthy, I don't know why you'd want weight gain. If he simply has to gain weight, try giving him a hot dog once or twice a day. Not one of those "all meat" dogs, but perhaps a "chicken dog" that has high-carb fillers like corn syrup. I have experience with this kind of thing putting weight on a small dog ... mind you, it's experience I'm not proud of, but it will put on the weight!
 
Granted this isn't food related, but more of a curiosity and learning thing. How old is Enzo now? And do you think he's too skinny? I'm only asking because Koji held at 19 lbs all his life while we did agility. He was slightly underweight, but I could see him struggle with jumps with even 1-2 pounds extra. The vet told me to let Koji be at a "normal" weight once I quit agility for health reasons (aka if he gets sick, he has weight to lose - also because Koji was 7 at the time and hitting "middle age").

Gotta say, interesting about what Dr. Shelli said about the line and carbs. :) Good info in case I ever need it.
 
I really don't think that calories of any sort are going to be "pooped out" unless the dog has a digestive issue.

Actually there is research in humans that there are a significant proportion of people who have trouble putting on weight because of their genes. Excess calories are just excreted rather than absorbed, and it takes a lot more calories for those people to put on weight than the average person. Interesting correlation for those of us who have experience with skinny dogs.
 
Calories aren't going to be "pooped out" but certain foods and more of certain foods definitely produce more waste. For example, I hear Earthborn feeding yields a great deal. Fromm produces quite a bit of bulk there. My dogs are on Addiction and I am shocked how little they produce. However, it is quite firm and it seems to drain those anal glands nicely.
 
Granted this isn't food related, but more of a curiosity and learning thing. How old is Enzo now? And do you think he's too skinny? I'm only asking because Koji held at 19 lbs all his life while we did agility. He was slightly underweight, but I could see him struggle with jumps with even 1-2 pounds extra. The vet told me to let Koji be at a "normal" weight once I quit agility for health reasons (aka if he gets sick, he has weight to lose - also because Koji was 7 at the time and hitting "middle age").

I think that's a fair question, and here's why. Bentley and Lexi are both 1" taller than Enzo. They weigh 16 lbs and any more than 16.5# I think they are overweight (and it's something I monitor fairly closely). Once Lexi got to 17 lbs. not too long ago and it was really obvious to me--I felt bad about it for the reasons you mentioned in agility. And even weirder is that all 3 of the dogs are fine boned. I don't believe that Enzo is any thicker/blockier than the other 2. He just carries his weight really differently. He has a much deeper chest, and is fairly masculine for a little dog. He also has a TON of muscle. I guess that must be the difference. And maybe when I say 19# is ideal, I'm wrong. I just know 17# is too thin.

Actually there is research in humans that there are a significant proportion of people who have trouble putting on weight because of their genes. Excess calories are just excreted rather than absorbed, and it takes a lot more calories for those people to put on weight than the average person. Interesting correlation for those of us who have experience with skinny dogs.

Thanks for this! I have heard about this as well. I have some friends that are in similar situations (humans)--they have to work really hard to put on weight. I'm not really interested in changing food as I have done a lot of research and have tried many options. I believe Acana to be a good food--and we also feed a good amount of high-quality treats, and while upping these for the brown dogs does lead to weight gain, it does not do the same for Enzo. Shelli's familial insight certainly points to a genetic component.
 
I think that's a fair question, and here's why. Bentley and Lexi are both 1" taller than Enzo. They weigh 16 lbs and any more than 16.5# I think they are overweight (and it's something I monitor fairly closely). Once Lexi got to 17 lbs. not too long ago and it was really obvious to me--I felt bad about it for the reasons you mentioned in agility. And even weirder is that all 3 of the dogs are fine boned. I don't believe that Enzo is any thicker/blockier than the other 2. He just carries his weight really differently. He has a much deeper chest, and is fairly masculine for a little dog. He also has a TON of muscle. I guess that must be the difference. And maybe when I say 19# is ideal, I'm wrong. I just know 17# is too thin.



Thanks for this! I have heard about this as well. I have some friends that are in similar situations (humans)--they have to work really hard to put on weight. I'm not really interested in changing food as I have done a lot of research and have tried many options. I believe Acana to be a good food--and we also feed a good amount of high-quality treats, and while upping these for the brown dogs does lead to weight gain, it does not do the same for Enzo. Shelli's familial insight certainly points to a genetic component.

Very interesting- Grizz's Dad is Jocu's granddad on both sides:eek2::pop
we might be on to something here.....
now I have to go look at our foods and see what we have going on there...............
 
Is it a male thing, and they are intact right? I know my girls all have to be watched as they are chowhounds, but they are spayed and I know spaying can contribute to weight gain in dogs. Are the males more muscular than the females. I don't know, I have only ever had females. With the exception of Savannah, I have had stockier body girls, with sturdy looking feet/paws. Savannah has fine bones and very small petite feet/paws.
 
I think that's a fair question, and here's why. Bentley and Lexi are both 1" taller than Enzo. They weigh 16 lbs and any more than 16.5# I think they are overweight (and it's something I monitor fairly closely). Once Lexi got to 17 lbs. not too long ago and it was really obvious to me--I felt bad about it for the reasons you mentioned in agility. And even weirder is that all 3 of the dogs are fine boned. I don't believe that Enzo is any thicker/blockier than the other 2. He just carries his weight really differently. He has a much deeper chest, and is fairly masculine for a little dog. He also has a TON of muscle. I guess that must be the difference. And maybe when I say 19# is ideal, I'm wrong. I just know 17# is too thin.

Thanks! I didn't want you to think I was judging you or what not. It was definitely just a curiosity question. And that makes sense about the size/muscles, etc. I try to keep Koji at 21-22lbs now (again, had him at 19 all his life). Vogue is 4" shorter than him and I keep her at 18lbs. She's a hefty little thing, haha. Oh, did I just say that about a girl? Oops. But she's perfect at that weight....or should I say, that's the weight Rachel sent her to me at so I'd like to think it's a good weight. Actually, it is since they're a bit bony right now as their new food made them lose weight and she's at 17 and Koji is at 20.

Good luck! Hopefully it won't be as hard as humans to put the weight on. Yikes.
 
Back
Top