Question about "puppy" shedding...

Really?! This makes the second time Smudge has blown coat. I'm not talking about shed, either. I'm talking about whoa mama call in two extra people and put a brush in each hand kind of blowing coat.

Fluffy is over a year and has yet to blow coat. I think the total amount of fur collected has been maybe 1 brush full. Since she came home. :eek2: :lol:


Does weather have anything at all to do with them blowing coat? :confused2:
 
I noticed with Noah, in the spring and fall when we had up and down weather (cold to warm and back to cold), that I had a lot more loose fur to brush out. He loved the outdoors and even in the wintertime, wanted to be outside and lie in the snow. Consequently, I would have loose fur even over the winter. Not so much in the summer.
 
Do pups shed their puppy coats at a certain age, or is it according to the time of year? (like an adult would shed) Miko is 16 weeks old today and for the past week or so I've noticed that he's shedding quite a bit. I know that he's going to lose his puppy coat... but I didn't realize that he'd shed right before it's supposed to get really cold out. :confused2:

Kramer is 5 months old and he blew his puppy fuzz by the hand full about 3 weeks ago. He is starting to grow the adult coat now. Miko's sounds about on schedule. Some dogs blow the puppy noticablely and some don't.

Diva and Grizz didn't but both had massive yearling sheds. Both fuzzy pups. Justice, Pike and Ember blew alot of puppy fuzz and some but not much at 1 yr. But they were not really hairy as pups.
 
Really?! This makes the second time Smudge has blown coat. I'm not talking about shed, either. I'm talking about whoa mama call in two extra people and put a brush in each hand kind of blowing coat.

Fluffy is over a year and has yet to blow coat. I think the total amount of fur collected has been maybe 1 brush full. Since she came home. :eek2: :lol:


Does weather have anything at all to do with them blowing coat? :confused2:

I always thought possibly yes it may,but then again I have only had Earnhardt to deal with.And being a lab,they seem to shed whenever,and most of the time.
He is not exposed to the elements heat or cold.

They all are acclimated to inside the home temperatures.I guess I was thinking that the colder enviorment the dog was kept in,the more profuse the coat..hence a bigger shed or blowing of coat.

Neither Trapp or Jasper has blown a coat yet. The closest I saw to anything like shedding,was in July at sheltie gathering with Trapp.He had just had a bath,and we noticed tufts of coat only in the pants area.But a good brushing took care of it.

We will all be hard to find once there guys have thier first blowing of coats,cause they are big puff balls now~ Heaven help us!
 
My boys have yet to really "blow their coats"!

They are both over 2.5 years old now. I don't get it! When I brush them, I certainly pull out lots of stuff, but it does not shed on its own! What's with that? People ask me all the time about this, and I've never had a problem. Nor with my forever pup, Timber.

I do remember when Bacca was about 6 months old or so (in the fall) he did blow a little but as it was only puppy fur, it was barely noticeable.
 
Back
Top