Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Raleigh all breed shows

Discussion in 'Handling Chat' started by Bradt9881, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    He certainly has to get over the fear factor to be able to win in the future; the part I am proud of is he is doing better than 2 months ago when he did the 4-6 month B match which was my goal for the show. You have to start somewhere, and for a nearly 7 month old dog I am happy....

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    first place is still first place:yes:
    it's fun to do that well in early shows so the pup will get used to being in the ring and having a good time:smile2:

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    It's a lot for the babies to handle. I entered Ruffles in the Sunday of a three-day weekend and took her to the show for two days before she showed. I groomed her, walked her around, we did everything but go in the ring. By the third day she was over the nerves. I think it made a big difference in how well she did when we finally showed. Perhaps you can just take him to a few shows when he isn't entered to get him used to the atmosphere. I think it's a huge accomplishment when they're that young to just gait, stack and bait in the ring! It sounds like he's on his way!

4. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I Couldnt agree more Ann. I learned my lesson ruining Molly who hated to show, not sure if it was me, or just her...But now if I have a dog who is leery of the whole ring,building, loud noises, dogs etc scene, I take the dog to the show they hang out its a fun time I expect them to do nothing but just take it all in at their own pace.. After awhile we work up to the whole showing thing.

Right now im working on a girl who is almost 18 months old and has only stepped into the ring once in her life...For the last 6 months or so any time I attend a show with another dog she tags along.. I pop her on the grooming table while there she gets brushed, handled etc. When its time for me to go in the ring the last show my mom took her ringside and she sat next to her while I went in. When I came out I took her walked her for a moment and gave her some cheese. In her eyes hey this was a good experience. The only time I showed her was outside at a small quiet show...Work them up to showing slow if they are concerned about the goings on around them.

In the end some just really dislike it. So you have to weigh it all out. However with that being said hes only 7 months...give him time..;)

5. Bradt9881

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    I think that's actually sound advice. A friend was there doing just that with one of her young puppies today and he seemed to be having a blast....

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    And treats! Lots of treats. You want to make it a fun experience for him, as Linda said. Let him be a puppy...play a bit with him on the leash. Keep him happy...it will really help him sparkle when he gets in the ring.

Good luck today!

7. Bradt9881

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    He did a decent job today, other than sitting down when the judge was doing some hard probing into his mouth, which he hates. I shot a bit of video of his 6-9 month puppy run today....

http://youtu.be/q-859soJtNo

8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    He did a nice job, Brad! Congratulations, he's a cutie!

9. Bradt9881

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Thank you! He is trying. It's just that he is still very young, and needs to coat out and mature a bit before I can expect a win.

10. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    He's looking good :) Looks like he has nice movement. I would suggest if you have any ukc conformation shows near you to take him to those and let him fun. It can be a big confidence builder. Also, in addition to conformation shows, you can take him to agility trials if you have any near you and let him get used to all of the goings on there. I'd load a clicker with him, and click and treat at shows confidence, and behavior you like when presented with stimulus. Teach him good things happen when there is noise, are people around, and a lot going on.