recommendation for boarding a sweet Sheltie on Long Island

The Vet is our emergency back up but when looking at boarding options one thing we really do prioritize is finding a place that lets the girls board together as in sharing sleeping quarters. Our dogs spend so much time together at home that when they board they really get stressed if they get separated. They do much better in situations that allow them to be together.
 
The Vet is our emergency back up but when looking at boarding options one thing we really do prioritize is finding a place that lets the girls board together as in sharing sleeping quarters. Our dogs spend so much time together at home that when they board they really get stressed if they get separated. They do much better in situations that allow them to be together.
That makes sense - of course the sisters would want to be together! Kenzie is an 'only fur child' so we won't have that issue.
 
I have a woman who comes into my home twice a day - she charges per trip, not pet (she hasn't dealt with my chickens yet though - haha!). She spends about an hour here, takes pictures, walks the dogs, collects my mail. She is WONDERFUL!!! I pay 25.00 per trip. I think for Long Island, your fee isn't too far out of line if she is spending the night (I am in CT).
 
I have a woman who comes into my home twice a day - she charges per trip, not pet (she hasn't dealt with my chickens yet though - haha!). She spends about an hour here, takes pictures, walks the dogs, collects my mail. She is WONDERFUL!!! I pay 25.00 per trip. I think for Long Island, your fee isn't too far out of line if she is spending the night (I am in CT).
Yes, I have a great person to come midday here if I needed her. My issue is for vacations/overnight stays. I took care of my friend's dog, cat and chickens when she went away - chickens are easy and so cute to watch as they peck around:) I'll just have to continue my search! Thanks for writing.
 
I'll just have to continue my search! Thanks for writing.

Sometimes if you call around to vets in your area, some of their techs do home care. Might not be cheap, but reliable and knowledgeable. I actually found my sitter years ago when I called around to vets, was honest that I felt they were a tad over my price range, I got referred to a few that were felt as reliable. One was a total flake but I eventually ended up with my current one. Maybe ask neighbors or friends who have animals who they use?
 
Sometimes if you call around to vets in your area, some of their techs do home care. Might not be cheap, but reliable and knowledgeable. I actually found my sitter years ago when I called around to vets, was honest that I felt they were a tad over my price range, I got referred to a few that were felt as reliable. One was a total flake but I eventually ended up with my current one. Maybe ask neighbors or friends who have animals who they use?
Thanks, I should start by asking my vet. I've asked neighbors and that's how I received a few names - the only one that was available for last week was the person I used, but was not happy with (due to her having a 9-5 job, unrelated to watching my dog!) - nice person, kind to Kenzie but Kenzie was too upset to even get in her harness for a walk. It's good to hear that others have to go through a few before they find 'the one.' Thanks for your ideas!
 
My challenge is leaving the girls alone at night. I realize they are "alone" at the kennel but they are confined together. There is still a routine to settle down at night, etc. I can't imagine the trouble they'd get up to at night once the dog walker had left them alone for the night.
 
My challenge is leaving the girls alone at night. I realize they are "alone" at the kennel but they are confined together. There is still a routine to settle down at night, etc. I can't imagine the trouble they'd get up to at night once the dog walker had left them alone for the night.
I agree. I would never leave my dog alone at night - that's why I'm hoping to find a reliable, kind overnight sitter.
 
That's a very good point - she really knows my dog (probably better than the vet since she sees her more often) - and could probably recommend someone. I'm still a bit cautious about who stays at my home, but we all have to trust at some point for the sake of our fur babies.
Thank you!
 
Back
Top