Returning a Puppy to a Breeder

Wagonracer

I agree with you 100% AMAC... Let me give you more information... We have been researching Shelties for almost a year, I have had a dog in the past but my wife and daughter have not. To say I am taking this extremely seriously would be an understatement. I have attended shows with Shelties, visited several breeders, even had my daughter tested for dog allergies. I have read almost ever book out there on Shelties and have been getting great information from this forum. I don't think there is anything I haven't done as a precaution. If so, please let me know!!! Even with all these precautions there is no way to know 100% that someone in the household won't have an allergic reaction (health threatening). In talking with the breeders they have told me you have to live with the dog for a period of time before anything may show up... this is the reason for my thread (worse case situation)... Thanks AMAC, and everyone else on this forum for all the great input...

Let me first ask you have you adopted any pup or older sheltie yet ?? If not I would strongly suggest you not adopt. That was the suggestion made by your doctor so I would abide by it. It certainly seems like you are very confused over the whole issue. When in doubt wait.:yes:
 
Have you considered pet sitting someones sheltie, or fostering for a sheltie rescue? This could give you an idea of the allergies, and also the commitment needed for this breed. It would give you a good idea of things. The people that have watched Aztec for me always end up wanting a sheltie. (Which surprises me...he has ripped quite a few pet sitters pant legs)

Shelties are sensitive, and also get very attached to people. They need a lot of human interaction, and like routine. They do not fit in everyones household.
 
I think you have asked alot of great questions and are really doing your research which is commendable. I thought the question asking if you have a family history of animal allergies was a good one, would that be the cause of your large concern for your child having allergies? I do agree that in most cases they are controlled with meds.
We have a fair number of shelties and our son is quite allergic to cats and one of the larger animals such as buffalo (we found while visiting the safari park) to the point of immediate swelling in the eyes and nasal passage. He has no reaction to dogs. It would seem if you spent some up close time with a sheltie, you would see if you were going to have a reaction. When you attended the show, did you get to mingle in the grooming area and see if your child had any symptoms?

I don't fall into the frame of mind of ever calling dogs children- they are not human or children, (I feel calling them such plays into the brainwash of the AR's) but at the same token the decision should not be entered into lightly which it seems you are definitely not. Yes, like has been said, any reputable breeder will take the dog back if you run into an issue.
All that being said- I do think it is possible to 'overthink' and worry greatly about too many small issues, often I am guilty of that myself lol. :wink2:
 
Last edited:
Thanks for Input

Thanks very much for all the input from all... To answer some questions, yes, I have spent time at shows and at breeders to see if any of us seem allergic and there has been no results. That being said, from my research, symptoms can develop after a period of time that was the big question mark. I think Jazzy put it best, I am "overthinking" the whole issue... Also, I do have a deposit down with a breeder for an 8-week old puppy which I will be adopting on the 22nd of April. Also, I have spoken to the breeder of my concerns although I don't anticipate a problem...
 
Weighing in....

1) I'm allergic to many dogs and cats. But I've discovered that I normally build a general immunity to those that I'm around all the time. I had dogs and cats growing up, two cats and 1 Shelitie dog as a young adult, and now my two Shelties. I developed immunities to all of them. What I cannot tolerate is dogs and cats that I've not able to build an immunity towards.

2) About breeders taking back dogs. These breeders are the best of the best! I brought home Bacca at 8 weeks old and he fit in beatifully. Around Xmas this year, I decided that I wanted a second Sheltie. I did not want a pup as I was not up to doing potty training in the dead of Canada winter. I found a local breeder who had several older dogs available. I went out to visit with Bacca to test the waters. We both decided that 3 year old female Ginnie looked to be a good match for the two of them. We were both wrong. After one week it was evident that this was not going to work. The hardest phone call I ever had to make was to confirm this (we'd been emailing each other all week, and it was actually the breeder who decided to call it quits). I brought Ginnie back to her and brought home Indy the same day. I was heartbroken and felt like a failure. But Indy and Bacca bonded and Ginnie moved on to a home that totally suited her.

So, you'll hear about pups are forever, and I do believe that's true. But if you have a proper breeder, then they will work with you to determine if its a fit or not.

To this day, I do not know why Ginnie did not fit. I was prepared to love her and appreciate her. I still look at pictures of her and miss her. But Indy jumped into my house and made his mark - something that Ginnie could not do.

It was the hardest and best thing I ever did. Now everyone has a happy home.

I guess my only final comment....if you decide to risk taking home a pup that you might be allergic too, make sure you have a backup plan. And don't leave it too long. Ginnie was not here long enough to get attached.

Best wishes
Barb
 
Congratulations on your new puppy!!!! You must have found the perfect sheltie for you and your family. Let us know when you bring your new puppy home. Is it a boy or a girl? I know you'll all be very happy!!
 
Back
Top