Romeo graduated from Basic Jumpers!

Congratulations! I can't wait to see the video. (I can view YouTube at work so that has to wait til I get home.)
 
I love watching novice stuff, it's makes me realize how far I truly have come. Like Romeo, Koji was a crazy dog, distracted by everything. So, give yourself more time, he'll really come around.

Go Romeo!! That was awesome. And yeah, I think the handlers are always more tired than the dogs. LOL. I know I am.

As for Sca, no worries, agility will really help with attention. It may not happen overnight, but seriouly, Koji used to get distracted by everything. I'm extremely amazed when he's focused and running at a trial (we used to have speed issues too). He's come a long ways.....I cant wait to see Romeo and Sca in a year or two. They'll both be amazing!
 
THANKS Y'ALL!!!! YES! I'm so INCREDIBLY proud of how far Romeo has come! He was super duper distracted before and, well, you saw me jump for joy in the video! :lol: Having had SO MANY PROBLEMS with distractions and lack of attention, when he came through like this not on just one run but several runs, with dogs around!!, I'm just so so happy!! I used to be pooped out from running after him when he runs off to sniff a dog or whatever! VERY EMBARASSING with everyone at the dog run watching! Now I'm exhausted from running the courses, which is so much better! heehee!

Caro, I think the fluffball you saw was the other sheltie in the class. There are 2 shelties and 1 chh in the class. The other sheltie is a bit of a girly girl and it takes quite a bit to get her moving! Initially it was all Romeo could do to pay attention at the dog run, but it seems working around all that activity helps it all sort of fade away into the background. And coz I use the sniffing of trees/poop/dogs around the dog run as a reward, I think he figures now that if he does what I tell him to do, he's going to get what he wants anyway (without mummy dragging him away)!

ClantyreSheltie, I'm in Singapore! Hence the hot weather. We are actually having the hottest temps and driest season in 140 years!!

take4roll10, I go get her on 7th APRIL!!!! ONE MORE MONTH! I am just about ready to burst with excitement!!
The chh isn't actually owned by that lady, but by that lady's friend. He can be a fast little bugger!! And is super focussed on his handler all the time!!

SheepofBlue, the thing that I think helped ALOT with Romeo's attention was finding his #1 reward (for him it was sniffing trees and marking or sniffing dogs) and using it to reward him for attention. I also did alot of recall on a long leash outdoors every night for 20 mins for a week before this class, then as a reward we would both run to a tree together so he could sniff it. It was fun and he enjoyed it. Oh!! And I started doing this jumping around thing which gets him all excited and focussed on me. Basically I just hop around shifting my weight from one foot to another (with a treat in my hand held in front of my stomach initially) and encouraging him to jump around too (on me as well but you may not want that). He really likes that and it gets his attention on me because I'm suddenly FUN. Haha!
 
SheepofBlue, the thing that I think helped ALOT with Romeo's attention was finding his #1 reward (for him it was sniffing trees and marking or sniffing dogs) and using it to reward him for attention. I also did alot of recall on a long leash outdoors every night for 20 mins for a week before this class, then as a reward we would both run to a tree together so he could sniff it.

Great use of Premack. That is just great you worked to find what motives him.:smile2:
 
You may have become exhausted, but you guys looked like you were both having a great time!:biggrin2: Congratulations to both of you. I also loved the video.
 
Congrats! Great video, you seems to make a nice team, and everybody have fun, am so envious of your weather... we have muddy foggy days and I have to clean pup every time he goes out to do his business...
 
We've been getting alot of rain so I'm also having to clean mud off these few weeks!

Had our first Novice Jumpers class last week only to find WE ARE THE ONLY ONES that are in the class! LOL! More running less resting for us!
 
i JUST got around to this thread, no idea how the heck I missed this!?
I am sooo proud of you guys!!! Thinking back of the frustrations and adolescence and look at you guys now, that is CRAZY...
I nearly cried, at the end!!!! LOL

I cannot wait to see how Toffee is doing in May when we do classes, too bad they will be indoors... of course we only have 2 weeks of summer normally, lol
 
Back
Top