Rough Fur Problems

Tabitha

Forums Enthusiast
My 9 year olds fur is getting rougher and thinner as the years go by I keep trying new things but nothings working. Usually it grows back in the winter time but his bad hips kept him mostly inside these past few months and his winter coat never came in. He used to have about 5" long fur, now its only 2 1\2" and very thin. Is there anything I can do!
Thank you,
Tabitha
 
Have you considered that he might be hypothyroid?

Fur loss is a classic symptom. It might be time to get him tested.

The tests are expensive, but worth it. Once diagnosed, its very manageable.
 
My 9 year olds fur is getting rougher and thinner as the years go by I keep trying new things but nothings working. Usually it grows back in the winter time but his bad hips kept him mostly inside these past few months and his winter coat never came in. He used to have about 5" long fur, now its only 2 1\2" and very thin. Is there anything I can do!
Thank you,
Tabitha

Clearly this dog needs a vet visit. When was the last time he had a complete workup done?
Saying a prayer for him,that it is not serious and he gets to feeling better. :hugs
 
Oh no:no:! I looked up all the symptoms, weight gain, localized hair loss or a high rate of shedding, skin problems and a reduction in normal activity levels. Hypothyroidism can slow the animal's heart rate, increasing its sensitivity to cold weather. He has every last one of them!

Last year I saw he was gaining a little weight but didn't think much of it. I just cut out the unneeded treats and lowered his daily food but a month later and he was still gaining. We took him to the vet for his rabies and when my big boy got on the scale I made the vet double check to make sure it wasn't broken. My poor poor baby weighed a whopping 46 lbs:eek2:! When we got home I burst into tears and buried my face into his scruff. I couldn't believe my 26 lb boy got so fat so fast! He is now down to 34 lb and hasn't moved from that for 3 months. I've been forced to decrease his food to only a 1/2 cup all day. I get ready to cry every time I feel that bulge on his waist:cry:. I should have kept a closer eye on his weight. Don't ask me how I didn't notice it, even I don't know.

I have plans to take him to the vet as soon as I can. We really can't afford it right now, but my babies worth it. I was actually thinking someone would suggest a special shampoo:o! Hypothyroidism never even crossed my mind. I was reading the dogs its most common in and it specifically addressed Shetland Sheepdogs!

Thank you for your help, kind words, and prayers. God Bless!:hugs
Tabitha

Read more: Signs & Symptoms of Hypothyroidism in Dogs | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5374015_signs-symptoms-hypothyroidism-dogs.html#ixzz2QXiKKJ3K
_________________
Owned by:
F-kap AKA Formally Known As Prince (9)
Jody AKA Jody Nix And The Texas Cowboys (1 1/2)
Sarah AKA Sarah Palin (10 months)
Ida AKA I'm A Plumb Fool About Ida Red (6 months)
 
Back
Top