Running Contacts

Clean Run had an article on the impact on the joints with running vs 2o2o. I'll need to look back through them to be 100% sure, but I believe the 2o2o was said to be harder on their joints. Think about what a heavier, fast dog is doing to its' joints as it flies up over the top of the aframe, and slams hard into a 2o2o. That's a lot of stress put on the joints

This is what I've always heard, too, and that the impact is especially hard on the A-frame because of the more extreme angle. Also, it's why we're trying to keep a running contact on the frame. I can almost keep up with a single running contact and we're making progress on lateral distance at the contacts so that helps, too.

Several of the 20" and 22" BCs that we train with use a 4-on-the-floor at the frame instead of 2o2o. Older, slower handlers like me, need the stops. LOL.
 
The belief that all dogs should have a 2o2o is an old school training belief. All dogs don't need one. If I were you, and I wanted a running, I'd say screw what the other people in the area think. It's best to do what is best for yourself and your dog. People are afraid to change with the times.
Ashley, when you move to Ohio, you won't find such resistance to the running around here. There are a lot of people here who use running contacts very successfully.
All it's really going to take for some change of opinion to occur is for a few people with fast dogs who accurately do a running to embrace running contacts, and start taking all the wins over those who normally win with 2o2o.
 
Last edited:
what a great discussion!!
I really like what Stacey is saying... it makes me think!

Ania, you are right, there IS a lot of pressure here with that as well.
Not sure maybe with all the Susan Garrett clones? (no offense meant, I actually DO hang on to every word she says about dogs and handling, just the rest I might tune out a lil, lol) We do the target at the end but I must say I am doing something wrong! Toffee gets frustrated and keeps pawing at the target... isn't really focused on the target enough. SO I just went back on the drawing board ... but I tell ya those running contacts I really like the looks of!! lol

Ania: PLUS get your nephew a dog, will ya?? LOL
 
Ok, I've made up my mind. I've been watching a ton of youtube videos and I am going to retrain the contacts to running contacts! With Chinook, I have to because stopping is just too hard on his joints (he already has no left hip) and he is slow, so this will at least keep him moving and motivated. And Maia, well, I AM competitive, so I am going to give it a go and see what happens. Wish us luck with the retraining. Although, I will not be able to start retraining until late spring :(
 
I've been doing more thinking about where I would be able to train the running contacts without having to wait for spring and I think I've thought of the perfect place :biggrin2: : my back lane! It's plowed, so there is not deep snow, not much traffic and if there is, I can move into the garage while they pass! It's perfect for now. I'm sooooo excited. I know it's freezing out here, but my two are used to it and if we warm up and then do a cool down, they will be fine. We walk in -40 weather and they run and play all the time, so this will be nothing 5 minutes here and there.

Now, I only have to dig out the second teeter plank that is burried under 3 feet of snow out in my backyard! :no:

Running contacts here we come! :lol:
 
I've been doing more thinking about where I would be able to train the running contacts without having to wait for spring and I think I've thought of the perfect place :biggrin2: : my back lane! It's plowed, so there is not deep snow, not much traffic and if there is, I can move into the garage while they pass! It's perfect for now. I'm sooooo excited. I know it's freezing out here, but my two are used to it and if we warm up and then do a cool down, they will be fine. We walk in -40 weather and they run and play all the time, so this will be nothing 5 minutes here and there.

Now, I only have to dig out the second teeter plank that is burried under 3 feet of snow out in my backyard! :no:

Running contacts here we come! :lol:

Now THAT, Ladies and Gentlemen, is COMMITMENT (and an agility obsession) :winkgrin:
 
Did you say someone has been committed?
or should be?:winkgrin::lol:

I have been called 'crazy' in the past when it comes to my obsession, um I mean love of, agility but in my defence, I am ONLY doing this because Chinook and Maia are making me do it! They are begging me, what can I do but obey. We all know it is futile to resist the sheltie stare! :wink2:
 
I have been called 'crazy' in the past when it comes to my obsession, um I mean love of, agility but in my defence, I am ONLY doing this because Chinook and Maia are making me do it! They are begging me, what can I do but obey. We all know it is futile to resist the sheltie stare! :wink2:


blame the furkids! :biggrin2: Shame on you :o LOL
But yes we should always give in to the Sheltie stare!
 
Ok, I've made up my mind. I've been watching a ton of youtube videos and I am going to retrain the contacts to running contacts! With Chinook, I have to because stopping is just too hard on his joints (he already has no left hip) and he is slow, so this will at least keep him moving and motivated. And Maia, well, I AM competitive, so I am going to give it a go and see what happens. Wish us luck with the retraining. Although, I will not be able to start retraining until late spring :(

How exciting! I can't wait to hear how it goes (insert begging for videos here!). We may be joining you in this venture shortly!
 
Back
Top