Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sandstorm's lack of undercoat

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by KarenCurtis, Apr 29, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm got matts when he was a puppy and young dog

2. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Did his outer coat start out soft and then get coarser as he got older, even though he was neutered?

KarenCurtis likes this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Putting Deska on a senior multi-vitamin made a big difference to his coat. I'd tried all kinds of skin and coat supplements that didn't work and it was purely chance I tried a multi and the difference was really noticeable. I think a lot of dogs don't absorb nutrients as well as they get older which is why the multi worked where the skin supplements didn't. Tully used to get them but I stopped with all the IBD/diet issues (because the multi has chicken in it). But I just ordered some more to see how she goes , with being on prednisolone her coat is not as lush as it was. Which for Tully probably isn't a big issue because her undercoat is too thick.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Brooke definitely lost undercoat as she aged. Her breeder considered taking her to Nationals 4 years ago for seniors, (we were thrilled at the thought of seeing her in the ring) but decided after looking at photos that she definitely did not have enough coat to be competitive. It is easy to keep though, she has really long body outer coat and very shiny.

Our little Ally was spayed at 1.5 years, and had a HUGE coat all her life.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin's coat is not nearly as bushy and wirey as it was when he was younger. He still has an undercoat, though. Just not as much.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  6. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    No, but it wasn't really coarse either. It is softer than it was ever ough.