Sca jumps

Another video. This time with his chute. He was never any good with it and for some reason thinks he needs to jump on it during setup :rolleyes2: This time I primed it with cookies about 3 times then he got the idea. The video is about time 4.

Followed by some frisbee catching while I pack up the tunnel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZcUPcaP5cc
 
Sca looks like he's having a lot of fun...either jumping on the chute or running through it. I think he'd do great with target plates. Put a target at the end of the sequence WITH food, then drag him away from it and put Sca at the front and let him go. Oh, he gets no food if he does it wrong. This is how we taught our food obsessed one to go forward, versus jumping at/on me for food. lol. Granted he still stares at me and barks at me for food. I would say Sca and Koji would make great friends...but only if we hung some steak around their necks, hehehe.

Merry Christmas to you and Sca. Hope Sca gets lots and lots of treats!
 
So how do you prevent him from getting it on runs that he misses everything? Sca is pretty determined on food and would soon bee line to the target I think. He does have fun though. He was 'helping' me in the yard today while I aired up the trailer wheels and having 1000X more fun than me :lol:
 
So how do you prevent him from getting it on runs that he misses everything? Sca is pretty determined on food and would soon bee line to the target I think. He does have fun though. He was 'helping' me in the yard today while I aired up the trailer wheels and having 1000X more fun than me :lol:

Since I'm assuming you're alone when you're doing this, how about putting it into a container he can't get into? Let him know the food is in there, show it to him, open it, give him a piece, etc. But if he gets to it before you can, at least the food can't be eaten. If he does everything correctly, then you can open it up and give him some treats.

I used to use a bait pouch (either my actual pouch that I typically have around my waist, or a bait pouch toy. Which is basically a toy, with fur on the outside, but a pocket inside with velcro. Two things the dogs can't really get into, but can smell what's in it.). I suggested a something like a butter container or tupperware, because everyone has that. If you have a toy that you can stick food in, but he cant' get out, that'd work too.

This way, he'll learn not to look/jump at you cuz he KNOWS you have FOOD!!!! Sca ain't no dummy, lol. I should do this myself again, Koji jumps/stares at me too much when I run, lol.
 
So how do you prevent him from getting it on runs that he misses everything? Sca is pretty determined on food and would soon bee line to the target I think. He does have fun though. He was 'helping' me in the yard today while I aired up the trailer wheels and having 1000X more fun than me :lol:

If you really want to target train, the best way to do it is to start without obstacles. Just teach Sca that running to a target plate (CD cases work great!) is awesome because it has a treat on it.

Just start by putting a treat on the target, show it to Sca, then back him up just a step, then let him run to the treat. Back him up further each time. If he hesitates, wanders around, or can't find it, you've moved it too far too quickly. Make it easier.

Once he is easily driving to the target at a good distance, you can start putting it on the other side of an obstacle (like a jump). Start by setting it up so that he can't mess up (just one jump). Try putting him in a stay and releasing him over the jump.

As that becomes easier, add a second obstacle and so on and so forth.

Once he is target trained, the target doesn't always have to have cookies on it. You can have him race to a target plate and if he does the sequence correctly, YOU can add the food to the target afterwards (quickly thereafter, of course). That way if he's just rushing to the food and not thinking about his job (the obstacles), he gets nothing.
 
Back
Top