Scaby Skin

Geez, I was just thinking that with all of the fish oil and VP she's getting you'd think she'd have amazing skin!

Maybe I'll give her a bath tonight and see what happens. I'm just so stumped as to where this is coming from... :confused2:

Tonight I'll see if I can get a photo or short video of the rash...

This is completely random, but you don't think maybe she has a yeast infection, do you? I don't even know if a yeast infection can cause scabs though.

It made me think, because there was a lady on here (I believe it was King Buddy), and her dog Buddy had yeast infections a lot.
 
This is completely random, but you don't think maybe she has a yeast infection, do you? I don't even know if a yeast infection can cause scabs though.

It made me think, because there was a lady on here (I believe it was King Buddy), and her dog Buddy had yeast infections a lot.

I'm fairly certain its not yeast, but I'll look into it just to be safe. Thanks for the idea.
 
My vet didn't really know what caused the scabs, she didn't think it looked like a parasite, skin infection or fungus.

Since she looked healed, the scabs are flaking off and Sadie isn't overly itchy, she said just to keep an eye on it.

I've temporarily taken Sadie off of all supplements to see if there's any improvement. I'll be slowly re-introducing them when all of the scabs are gone (if they go away). I don't know that I blame the supplements, I just can't think of anything else. If the scabs don't go away then I'll change her food.
 
It almost sounds like a skin allergy. Good for you to take away the supplements. When you reintroduce, do one at a time.
 
The scabs gradually went away and her skin looks fine now. I don't believe it was caused the the supplements, I think it had to do with her swimming when the weather was warm and taking too long to dry off.

She's back on fish oil now and I'm thinking of putting her back on the VP, as she appears stiff at times.

My only problem with her now is that she has lost pretty much ALL of her undercoat, likely due to the stress she had to deal with this summer.

What she has looks gorgeous but I feel sorry for her that she's lost so much coat. I gave her a bath yesterday and she lost a bit more fur, none of which was undercoat.

The temperature just dropped to -11 deg. C (-19 with the windchill), so I'm wondering if I should get her a light coat lined with fleece to help keep her warm. She didn't seem too cold when I walked her this morning, but she has literally 1/4 of the undercoat of Ginny or Toby. :no:
 
If she doesn't seem to feel cold, then I would not get her a jacket.

I could be wrong, but I think you need the cold to encourage the coat to grow. Maybe it doesn't work the same with indoor animals, but wildlife, and other domestic animals like horses, will grow a shaggy coat in winter.

My tuppence worth.
 
If she doesn't seem to feel cold, then I would not get her a jacket.

I could be wrong, but I think you need the cold to encourage the coat to grow. Maybe it doesn't work the same with indoor animals, but wildlife, and other domestic animals like horses, will grow a shaggy coat in winter.

My tuppence worth.

Last night our trainer recommended that everyone get their dogs coats, because its been so cold here. I mentioned Sadie and she didn't seem to think it was a bad thing for her. Better safe than sorry I guess.
 
Back
Top